2011 Accord-Check Fuel Cap

ChevyDude

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Honda
MODEL:Accord
YEAR:2011
MILES: 169k
ENGINE
:4 cyl
DESCRIBE ISSUE....The check fuel cap has been on for a while and so I finally decided to take a chance and purchase a new fuel cap. It has been a week and she has probably gone through 12-15 drive cycles and the check fuel cap indicator is still on.

What else triggers the check fuel cap indicator?

Thanks

When you tightened the cap did you hear it click?...You have to tighten it and turn it till it clicks at least 3 times...Make sure the o-ring and the mating surface are clean..I think you have to drive it till it goes through 3 drive cycles to reset the light....If that's not it there is something else in the system that is not right...Jim

ChevyDude

Thanks Jim. Yes, tightened it and went probably 5-7 clicks. Keep in mind this is a new fuel cap from the dealership. It has been driven probably 12-15 times this week for close to an hour each cycle and allowed to cool down each cycle.

What else could be the issue?

Cracked and leaking hose, tube, fitting, or valve could also turn that light on. Try to get a free scan at a parts store, write down exact code or codes that are found, tell us what they are.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi,sorry for late response, but I must say that an EVAP code is a hard code. It will not erase itself, no matter how many drive cycles you do.

Unlike powertrain codes, which erase themselves EVAP codes are non negotiable. Law states this.

You can purchase a cheap code reader at walmart or canadian tire, or whatever to clear that code. Although I do recommend a ELM 327 device to suit your future needs.

This being a 2011 accord, I highly do not suspect the filler neck/tube to be corroded enough to code a gross leak.

As simple as this may sound, often many clients will gas up with engine running and will code a gross leak. Nothing wrong with the car. You can smoke test the evap system if you want. Probably nothing will come of this event.

Stant sells a kit just for this, to check the gas cap's. Any respectable shop has a kit like this.

http://www.stant.com/index.php/engl...ts/testers-adapters/fuel-cap-tester-adapters/

It is easy for any idiot to say it is the gas cap, probably because he is afraid of the smoke machine and doesn't have the training to use it. That is why the code is essential. Is it a P1443 or other? Maybe a major vac leak or other.

Last time I fixed one of these issues, I got in a verbal fight with the client. She was adamant that I had screw up her car. The memory data stated misfires and also a gross leak, but the evap code took precedence over the MIL light. Tried to explain that to her. No go. Useless endeavor. She screamed at me TO JUST REPLACE THE freaking GAS CAP. I said LADY your gas cap is fine.

So being the idiot I am, I called for a new gas cap, erased the code, and evap still coded a gross leak. Then I had to give this bitch the oops, sorry, strong wording, the bill for new spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter. I could not wait for her to get out of my face.

Here is your friggen gas cap, shove it where the sun don't shine and next time you want to yell at a tech, be sure you know what you are yelling about.

She pissed me off royal.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
On a funny note, she did come back for a oil change and asked for me. She said her car has more giddy up. I said and asked her, did you not understand what I said last time? She said no, she was too frustrated and nothing went into her skull.

She said sorry, I said ok, I appreciate your business but not your decorum. I have said this before here. I was offered many times to be the front desk guy. No way. Too many weird ppl. Sometimes I google ppl of walmart to remind myself why I never take that front desk job.:eek:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/page/2/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
While I was googling, if that is a word, I found this. May help you chevydude.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/p1443-evaporative-emission-control-system-vacuum-system/

Highlighted portion by me

Fix code P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System Vacuum System – Purge Control Valve Solenoid
If you have a P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System Vacuum System – Purge Control Valve Solenoid trouble code, this post will help you understand what it is and how to fix it.

The evaporative emission control system checks to make sure there are no leaks in the lines that run from the gas tank to the charcoal canister and up to the engine. It also checks to make sure the gas cap is sealing correctly.

When you fill your car with gas, the vapors in the tank get forced into a canister filled with activated charcoal. Also, on a hot day as the gas heats up and vaporizes, those same vapors push into the canister where they’re stored. But the charcoal can only hold so much vapor. At some point it has to be emptied. The emptying process is called “canister purge.” Here’s how it works.

The computer orders a canister purge by powering open a PURGE solenoid. That opens the vacuum line between the canister and the intake manifold. At the same time, it opens a VENT solenoid. That allows fresh air into the canister. So the engine is literally sucking out the gas vapors and purging the canister with fresh air. The computer has to adapt its fuel strategy to take advantage of all the extra gas vapors coming into the engine.

The computer notices the canister is empty when it detects a leaner condition (all the vapors are used up) and it resumes normal fuel delivery. Some car manufacturers then close the VENT solenoid but leave the PURGE solenoid open. That creates a vacuum throughout the entire fuel storage system. Once the correct vacuum is reached, it closed the PURGE solenoid and waits to see if the vacuum holds. If it doesn, the system passes the test. If it detects a leak, it sets a code.

The computer also watches the vacuum activity. If it commands a vent or purge solenoid, it expects to see a change in vacuum. If it doesn’t, it sets a P1443 code.

ChevyDude

Update: Put the OBDII reader on her yesterday and there were no codes present. The search continues...

thanks guys

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If no code present in PCM, it was probably a PCM code that just erased itself.

The evap codes do not erase themselves. Thanks for the update. Cool thread. Interesting to say the least.

I was sleepless yestarday again, found this one for you. Long video, but informative for your application. Listen closely. Pid data and I/M structure are key.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't know why this guy is getting negative reviews. All he is saying in this video is kosher. Haters gonna hate regardless of the truth.

I however do not like his actron, is still a usefull tool for the job. This guy is skillful for sure, and he would probably be more skillful with a labtop and a elm 327. Crops to this guy 100%.

At least he understands drive cycle. Too many clients could not get that drift, and as usual, I was called a lie. So clients screaming I am just out for their pocket. The job of a tech/mechanic is kind of like getting yelled at every day. Not fun and why I quite this trade.

But the fun side is you get to help ppl. Even if they don't want it.

Loose cannons at this point.

ChevyDude

I forgot to mention that the "check fuel cap" indicator is still on. My search continues...

ChevyDude

Yes, I scanned using my OBDII reader. Is it possible that there are codes that my Actron wont read?

kev2

wrench
Most EVAP system codes are generic P045x type but never ASSUME...
Will your scanner read P0999 and up the so called manufacturers specific codes?

Also for the monitors to run, set system to ready and self erase codes the vehicle will need a drive cycle - there are preconditions to starting the tests, everything should work, speedo, temp gauge, fuel gauge etc I see this confuse many - esp the fuel gauge connection.

Anyway I will look at tech info for TSB, troubletree for 'gas cap light" and post back