2011 Traverse 2lt pooling oil in air inlet duct

Hi I tried to do a search for this but came up empty. I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse 2LT FWD that because of the way it was designed, pools oil into the air inlet duct from the PCV valve which coats my throttle body "butterfly" valve with oil deposits. I found a TSB about a fix for it but just see the title of it and was hoping that someone has the full TBS.
Thank you in advance for any help
Mike W

2011 Chevrolet Traverse (pws) Service Bulletin 336685
NHTSA Item Number: 10044850 Date of Bulletin: Apr 01, 2014

Service Bulletin Number: PI-0746 Component: (pws)

Summary: General motors: malfunction indicator lamp (mil) on, poor acceleration, throttle body freezing, multiple dtcs set. Ice deposits and/or oil deposits present in air inlet duct. *js updated 9/19/12. *pe updated 12/5/12. *pe

Technicians may find DTCs P0101, P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P1516, P2177, P2178, P2179, P2180, P2187, P2188, P2189 and/or P2190 along with either ice or oil deposits in the air inlet duct.

Ice formation is caused by condensation freezing at the base of the throttle body with additional collection of ice formation deposits in the air inlet duct. Freezing condensation forms after the vehicle has been driven and then parked in low ambient temperatures.

Oil deposits are the collection of the engine vapors, fuel dilution and oil mist at the base of the throttle body with additional formation collecting in the duct.

Recommendation/Instructions (2011 Enclave, Malibu, Traverse, Acadia)

1. Remove the bank2 camshaft cover for servicing of the PCV system. Refer to Camshaft Cover Replacement Left Side in SI.

2. Clean the PCV orifice with low VOC brake cleaner. Allow to air dry with compressed shop air.

3. Replace the bank2 camshaft cover and replace the camshaft cover gasket.

4. Reassemble the bank2 camshaft cover.

Tighten
Tighten the camshaft cover bolts to 10 N.m (89 lb.in).

Technicians may find DTCs P0101, P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P1516, P2177, P2178, P2179, P2180, P2187, P2188, P2189 and/or P2190 along with either ice or oil deposits in the air inlet duct.

I don't get it either, PCV's have been around for over 50 years replacing a breather pipe that would suck up road dust into the engine, especially when you took your foot off the gas. Namely caused by piston ring blowby, just a check valve from the crankcase that is opened to under the valve covers and for years was returned to the base of he carburetor. Fords for years had this problem, was returning the PCV hose to the intake of the air cleaner, all this crap would build up in the TB that also was not a good idea.

Fuel injection made the problem worse as this crap would build up on the face of the injectors screwing up the spray pattern, and now GM is returning this hose back into the inlet. Even poorer with a throttle by wire, jams the vane in the TB, what were they thinking? Air inlet has the venturi effect that creates a vacuum, and while I haven't found a shop manual yet that says the vacuum should be around 18"/Hg, can be measured at the dipstick, without this vacuum, has a leak someplace, and of course the PCV check valve can be loaded with crap as well and won't close.

I assume your CEL is on although you didn't post this. Doing this also on the 1.4L turbo engines and leaks besides the check valve, can be in the dipstick O-rings, oil cap, valve cover gasket, crankshaft gasket, any where air can leak in. Not too bad on a four, but can drive you nuts on a V-6 or V-8.

Best preventives are changing your oil frequently and only using top tier gas, but this doesn't work either with all the oil pipe line mix ups and an EPA with over 155 blends of gas. So augment this by tossing a can of Seafoam in a full tank of gas around every 5K miles. Was talking to my son about this yesterday, finally doing his own oil changes, noted at this dealers, they don't even drain all the old oil completely out, ha, they can save a couple of extra bucks by adding less new oil. And the worse thing they can do is to overfill it where you even have more oil slopping around getting into this PCV system.

PCV valves use to be a couple of bucks at the most, but now part of the camshaft cover or a hose assembly, for the 1.4 L replacement is now 70 bucks for this piece of plastic.

Should advertise you want new problems, we have problems.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The problem here is condensation that will come back to intake, and freeze the linkage. Neons and volks had this back in the day. Even with todays fly by wire, the TB still will freeze if moisture get in there. That is the job of the PCV.

As techs. what we see here most often, is short trips to store, kindergaten, etc. Best to cycle engine until temp will agree with different metals that are used in todays cars/trucks.