2012 Fluid Change Ford 6F35

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by PC, Sep 28, 2016.

1. PC

PC Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
    MODEL:Fusion
    YEAR:2012
    MILES:45K
    ENGINE:I-4
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Trans fluid looks unusually dark, no driveability issues. Was considering a fluid change, but dealer only does a flush. I'm not comfortable with that. Trans has a plug, but only 4 qts. will drain, so I'm still left with 9 qts. of dirty fluid. Am I worried about a trans flush for nothing? Will it stir up junk that shouldn't be stirred up? What to do?

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Well, normally the dealer should have a transmission full trans service machine which will do a full trans flush with vehicle operating.

In a pinch you could do a full drain via the cooler hoses. But this is a two man job mostly.

Essentially, I do it myself in a pinch by putting in new fluid in the trans filler, and with the pressure line on cooler in a used oil tub, I watch until it flows bright red fluid. I then ask the helper to stop engine. Should take about no more than a half hour considering you have to remove the cooler lines to figure out which is your pressure line.

That is basically how the machine does it anyway.

Works for me.

I could not find any service interval for the AT fluid, but if you find it leaving brown traces on a scott towel, maybe a good time to put some new fluid in there. And if you do it like I described, with the coolers line detached, good time to back flush the trans cooler also.

The 6F35 uses mercon LV fluid.

Use a can like this to back flush the cooler.

Screenshot (28).png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Why do you think 9 qts. will remain? Usually, only the torque-converter won't drain and that seems like too much to fill just a converter. Regardless, drain what you can then refill; drive a week or two then repeat. Even if you did this a third time it will probably cost less as DIY than having the dealer do the flush/fill. Personally, I change the filter every time I change fluid (may mean dropping the pan), but I tend to not change fluid as often as recommended...

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Equivalents are sold instead of using Mercon LV. Compare pricing. Castrol, Peak and other are LV compatible.

I agree with Billr. Now if you want, you could dump the pan, and remove and replace the filter also.

I don't know if your at 47k km's or miles.

If it is miles, I would be inclined to put in a new filter.

If only km's, it can probably do for another 47k km's and then change the filter with a new oil then to. That way, your keeping a regular maintenance schedule. But as said, always better to replace the filter.

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    @billr, 5 quarts should remain in the torque if only the pan is drained and filter replaced. I miss the torque drain plug days. All we had to do was remove a cover for the convertor and bingo, drain the convertor, drop pan, swap filter, replace gasket and bolt pan, pour in 9 quarts. Done. No fancy machines.

Alldata shows 8.5l/9 quart full fill. So for sure you are right, this is not a 13 quart tranny. That was probably just a typo on the op's part.

But nowdays, I find it just simpler to do the whole thing in one shot with the cooler lines. That way, no need to come back a second or third time.

But that is just me. The less I fuss with a car, the better.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I don't think merconLV is a full synthetic. I will have to check that. But castrol says their ATF which has a Mercon LV aprroval stamp is equivalent.

The MSDS says mercon LV is not a full synthetic. While castrol Tranmax multi vehicle fluid is full synthetic and OEM approved for the LV rating. Probably cheaper too than the Motorcraft quarts.

http://www.costco.ca/Castrol-Transm...ic-Vehicles-6-x-946-ml.product.100244081.html

I am seeing 24$ for just one pint of Motorcraft LV fluid. That is ridiculous.
    9 quarts for motorcraft = over 218$ in oil.

So you go to costco and buy two cases of 6x946l at 43$= 86$ for 12 pints of full synthetic. Three quarts left over for emergency in trunk in case of a leak or something to that effect.

I really hate the the OEM companies are selling oil's at ridiculous prices.

7. PC

PC Full Member

No, I was thinking mixing dirty oil with clean oil results in dirty oil, but used to drop the pan on a GM hydra-matic and only got out 5 qts and that was fine. This trans. has a non serviceable filter unless you split the case open. Yes it uses Mercon LV and could find it at only one chain auto store and price was more than at the dealer. Go figure. Price per quart is not bad, on par with motor oil. Trans has a drain plug, so it's not a terrible job, just concerned that after only 47 K mi. fluid is very dark, doesn't smell burnt.

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    See, that is funny. I have never done a filter change on one of fusions. I have done a ton of fluid changes with the machine and with my driveway method.

But my alldata shows, the filter effectively attached to the pump. It states it is a 1.5hr job, So I just figured it was a deal of removing the side oil pan and possibly the valve body and bingo, the filter would slide out that way.

How ever, it does also say the part is listed, so I guess that was an error on Alldata or in fact, there is a way to swap that filter. Why give a labor time for the filter when it is internal and non serviceable.

I am not saying Alldata is infallible. I have caught errors there before.

Well I studied the transaxle further and found that in fact, the filter is located in the torque convertor housing. So some genius at ford decided to make a serviceable filter non serviceable. And by that, I also mean making the unit a very sealed and non user friendly fixable unit for the average joe.

The overhaul time alone is 14.4hrs. and that includes the removal and replacement of the actual transaxle.

That is a full two days work for a very experienced tech. I am a technician also, but I have always tried to steer clear of fixing fords. Here is another prime example why. I was once offered a job at a ford dealer and I turned them down. I hate the new products with a vengeance.

Anyways, enough raging against the machine.

9. PC

PC Full Member

What's more funny is the Maintenance Schedule calls for a automatic trans. fluid AND filter change at 150000 mi. Guess Ford figures the trans. will be trash by that time and need to be torn down. Guess I'm more concerned with the color of the fluid as in the past have never seen trans fluid turn dark unless there was a problem. Ford also states in the owners manual fluid discoloration is not an indicator of a problem. Huh, who writes this stuff? Some also say Mercon LV darkens rather quickly, so who knows.

10. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I would go with my recommendation if I may be so presumptuous. I have read a few threads since you started this one.

Alot of guy's are starting to steer clear of the motorcraft mercon lv and adopting a better fluid that meets ford OEM standards.

If you could see me now. I just came back from my last visit to the dentist. Phew. My face is frozen up to my eyeballs. Good time to take a punch. Wouldn't feel a thing.

Anyways, alot of guy's are going amsoil, royal purple, mobile 1 and others are also going castrol and valvoline full synthetic.

They to have noticed premature discoloring of the fluid with the motorcraft oil, but no deposits so to speak.

I guess the dye they put in the motorcraft fluid is not as resistant.

I would just go to costo and buy two case of castrol tranmax LV rated for cheap and be done with the motorcraft mercon LV. I could not find find a cheap pint of the OEM stuff.

Like I said, the merconLV is only a synthetic BLEND. Not a full synthetic.

I always go full synthetic, but maybe that is because I live in northern region. I will be going even farther next week, close the the 59th parallel. So I will be ordering a lot of synthetic oils for the guy's up there.

@ PC, here are snapshots of what Alldata tells me for your car.

Screenshot (32).png Screenshot (33).png

11. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    But that is false, as like you and I discussed, the filter is in the torque convertor housing section of the transaxle.

#84 is your pump, # 81 is filter.

Screenshot (34).png