jigfeett

Make
Dodge
Model
Avenger
Year
Miles
Engine
Hello, as the title states 2014 dodge avenger over heats intermittently.
The cooling fans do run
Temperature on gauge reads hot but not pegged out.
I will start with the basics and check coolant condition and change out the thermostat before going for the water pump.
Has anyone had similar issues?
I might be posting a few more issues with this car.
Thanks

kev2

wrench
SCAN FOR CODES.
COULD BE A ISSUE WITH WIRING TO ECT SENSOR.

3.6L
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 3.6L engine is located in the water jacket at rear of the cylinder head on the left side of the engine.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... what are the symptoms that make you think it is over-heating? Is it just that it is loosing coolant? That could be simply a bad cap, if it is relieving "over-pressure" there.

©hester

Hello, as the title states 2014 dodge avenger over heats intermittently.
The cooling fans do run
Temperature on gauge reads hot but not pegged out.
I will start with the basics and check coolant condition and change out the thermostat before going for the water pump.
Has anyone had similar issues?
I might be posting a few more issues with this car.
Thanks
Hello, you stated it was an intermittent problem. Under what driving conditions (highway/stop and go) do the symptoms appear?

grcauto

How did you determine the overheating problem? just the gauge? Steam from under hood? Conditions under which this happened.

jigfeett

Hi, the gauge reads hi. gauge reads hi with just a short trip like 3 miles to the store and back
There was an evap code but it was a cut gas cap seal and I replaced it.
With the cap off there is some steam but not boiling out.
It does bot look like it is loosing coolant but I need to check it this weekend and I will try to monitor the temp with my determinator scan tool.
Thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
You should verify that what the scanner reads (as live-data) is "reasonable". Use a simple meat/candy thermometer to check actual coolant temp at hot, or at least warm. After sitting overnight, the morning CLT and IAT (and trans fluid temp) should all read nearly the same as each other and ambient.

Note that those temp systems are not precision instruments, maybe only accurate to +/- 5F; and that a wrong reading can be a wiring/connector problem and not just from a bad ECT sensor.

grcauto

I like to use my IR thermometer and read the temperature coming out the upper hose and then hit the lower hose and see how much heat the radiator is actually removing. Those IR thermometers are very inexpensive and just like a vacuum gauge/pump they are very valuable in finding problems. If I get a radiator that will not drop at least 25 to 30 degrees I will start taking readings of the core. If I find cold spots I know where the problem is. Also you can hit the housing on the top of the engine that the upper hose connects to and read what you have there when the gauge is on the hot side and looking at the scan tool data. This will help you to know better what is going on. It could be your thermostat is starting to fail and not opening up all the way at times.

©hester

Hi, the gauge reads hi. gauge reads hi with just a short trip like 3 miles to the store and back
There was an evap code but it was a cut gas cap seal and I replaced it.
With the cap off there is some steam but not boiling out.
It does bot look like it is loosing coolant but I need to check it this weekend and I will try to monitor the temp with my determinator scan tool.
Thanks
Have you changed the coolant on a regular basis? Ever had the system flushed? Checking the upper and lower hose temp is a good idea. A have a laser thermometer. Can you see the tubes on the inside? Clean? Clogged? Are the outside fins clear of dirt and debris allowing sufficient air flow?

jigfeett

Hello, I installed a new thermostat and they report that the temperature is running in the middle of the gauge instead of hot.
I guess we will keep an eye on it and hopefully that fixed it.
Thanks