Make
Chevy
Model
Equinox
Year
Miles
Engine
3.6l
Low coolant in coolant reservoir, just noticed the other day when I changed the oil. Low as in almost empty.

Only four places it can go, right?

1) Internal engine leak
2) External (to engine) hose/clamp/water pump/gasket leak
3) Radiator leak
4) Heater core leak

Have not seen any coolant on garage floor. Just out of warranty. Suggestions?

JP

Typical GM. Small leak in radiator Not covered; also owe them for looking at it, not sure how much yet. $1000 to fix.

I'll check with my local go-to-when-I-don't-feel-like-fixing-it-myself guy; I'll bet they charge half that.

BTW, anyone have a GM part number for the radiator? 2015 Equinox with 3.6l.

Wouldn't ya know it? Just finished paying off the mortgage and though I'd have "extra" money....Pfft.

grcauto

If it's a leak at the core and not around the seal throw a can of bars into it. It'll seal it and can last for years on a young core like yours.

JP

Local shop $584. Worth it, they're very trustworthy and I know they won't bend me over. I've got 2 other cars that need service and I don't have the time to fix them all.

kev2

wrench
GM supplies it own sealer tabs - developed to fix that northstar leaker somehow my thoughts drift to those tablets.

Dont jump to R&R radiator- do some checking; a radiator pressure tester is great - engines cold engine is off - safe and no chance of moving parts or burns. no fan air blowing droplets away..

grcauto

Local shop $584. Worth it, they're very trustworthy and I know they won't bend me over. I've got 2 other cars that need service and I don't have the time to fix them all.
What do you need us for?

JP

"Us" meaning....who? Local shops? If so, I just don't have the time to fix everything myself, although I like to work on cars as a hobby.

BTW, just got a call back from the dealer (haven't picked it up yet) They're "seeing what they can do" in terms of the repair cost.

I'm a little concerned about either using the radiator tabs or bars...gumming up small passages, I've been told.

EricC

Website
facebook.com
"Us" meaning....who? Local shops? If so, I just don't have the time to fix everything myself, although I like to work on cars as a hobby.

BTW, just got a call back from the dealer (haven't picked it up yet) They're "seeing what they can do" in terms of the repair cost.

I'm a little concerned about either using the radiator tabs or bars...gumming up small passages, I've been told.
I used those GM cooling tabs for years with no ill effects. YMMV.

grcauto

Bars has come a long way over the years. They have good stuff that doesn't cause problems with clogging small passages except the passage that is allowing the coolant to leave the system. Keep in mind to use recommended amounts. I use half and get good results. If needed I add the other half but 90 percent or better need no more than half.
That being said.....you need to verify where the leak is. If it's around a hose fitting or rubber seal it will do no good. Must be a core leak.
Also the GM tabs work well also.

JP

Dealer offered to do repair for nearly the same price as local shop. Since they already gave me a loaner and I'd have to pay them for the diagnosis plus pay the other shop for the repair, it ended up less expensive to just have the dealer do it. $610. Still an ouch, but meh, it's done.

Now on to the next car...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Did that camino get sold JP? I hope so. Was a sweety ride. I am looking into a 335xi. But that is for spring. Still waiting on overtime to make better percentage.

Will keep you all posted on that project when it actually is in my driveway.

Happy dealer went down on cost. Like you said, other shyte to do right?

Hows life in your parts BTW?