2017 Ram 2500 4x4 pulls to the right?

cw41

Make
Ram
Model
Year
Miles
Engine
We bought a new 2017 Ram 2500 megacab longbed and at the time didn't notice about the pulling or drifting to the right. I realize that highways are crowned but will pull to the right even in the left lane. Its been into the selling dealer twice for alignment and tire rotation and the second time made it worse. Took it to another Ram dealer closer to us and he stated alignment toe way out of specs. Corrected toe and that was all he could do as No adjustment for camber/caster on a straight axle 4x4. It came with Firestone Transforce RWL 10 ply tires and have had to replace two at 12k pulling a 5000lb trailer. They were not rotated at 6000 miles so the best firestone would do was buy one, get one free.
Total of three alignment adjustments and one recheck on the alignment/rotate and still pulls to the right, moving the new tires back to the front made it worse which leads me to think I should get rid of the firestones?? Is there any info on Ram's and the firestones they are using? I see the Chrysler 300 is using firestone's?? Not much help so far with Ram customer service as of yet. thanks for any help.

I have never heard of a brand or set of tires that could do that. One bad tire maybe, but even that is unlikely. Also considering the rotations that have been done I doubt it is a tire.

It almost has to be out of alignment, but since they state there is no adjustment, it may be a bent axle or defective axle and nobody wants to replace it. . I am ruling out a brake dragging because if it was you would have had to replace the right front brakes by the time you got to 23,000 miles.
Keep after the dealer and the factory until they help you.

cw41

thank you for your input! I agree and so does the mechanic that something is bend or out of align somewhere. Ram is not helping much so I have to take it to the next step. Oddly, rotating the new tires back to the front made it worse and in talking to another tire manufacturer, the tire that is on it has issues and apparenty ram had a hard time selling these trucks with this brand of tire?

Is it possibe to swap front tires side-to-side? There is no mention of that common diagnostic procedure. Is it worse of better when towing?

cw41

they rotated and cross-switched the back to the front which made the fronts the newest tires and checked align and within factory specs and no adjustment for camber/caster on a 4 whl drive front end.
Please note I'm not mocking the tire manufacture above as to the problems I'm having! Moving the new tires to the front made the problem worse.
That was the fourth attempt to correct the problem so the lemon law might just apply here?? thanks

Any problems indicated by tire wear? After that many miles "They were not rotated at 6000 miles" uneven tire wear may have provided a clue. Do you know if "Thrust Angle" has been verified?

"I realize that highways are crowned but will pull to the right even in the left lane." Sometimes the left lane also crowns to the right. Best test would be 2 lane highway, straight and level, 50-60 mph, no oncoming traffic, cross the centerline and cruise in the "wrong lane" and see which way it pulls.

Last edited:

cw41

The thrust angle was not mentioned in the specs I got with the alignment I'll have to look. On the freeway, I can drive in the left lane which is crowned to the left and the truck will drift to the right lane in no time at all. If you drive in the middle of both lanes briefly as not to get a ticket, the truck will not pull. so the crown of the road does cause a problem and on cars/trucks that have a camber/caster adjust, I believe this issue is figured in on the alignment rack as to pulling to the right on crowns since most of our driving is in the right lane they have addressed it. But when you cannot adjust camber/caster it's an issue. Since the tire rotation made it worse, I'm inclined to think the tires have an issue that is making this worse. thanks

cw41

I don't know if this applies to your "new truck", but perhaps toe should be "0" and there are other adjustments available at the suspension link arms.
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/alignment-and-handling.html
thank you for the info. do the 2017 ram 2500 straight axle front end have caster/camber adjustments? My front end guy that I've known for years says only toe can be done on these new trucks? They want me to come back for a recheck they made some updates to their align rack which is a new Italian unit fancy laser, etc. He says this new unit cuts his time down on doing an alignment. He can do a few more a day if needed now.

cw41

back in march the toe was set at 3 deg but now it shows 8 deg both sides no mention of caster camber or angle??

Print out that article I linked you to and give it to your alignment guy. He will probably understand it better than both of us.