2017 Ram 2500HD Oil

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by cw41, Jul 25, 2017.

1. kev2

kev2 wrench

CW - for shits and grins call and ask jiffy lube for a price of oil change :)

Not a service an oil and filter. Dealers play fast and loose with that "service" as opposed to oil and filter.

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Hmm, that is weird, when I was working for mopar, our shop opened those cummins, never heard of us having to outsource our engines to the manufacturer of the engine. Maybe that has changed since I stopped working for mopar. I stopped working for them back in early 2000's. Wow time flies.

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    That comment seconds what I wrote above, but as I say, that may have changed.

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I see the OP lives in arizona, so anything 15w40 is fine. Valvoline makes a good oil for these cummins as you wrote in your initial post, also amsoil, penzoil, shell etc.

My take on this very old debate is that if the oil is rated for a certain application and is regularly serviced with quality filters, no dealer can say shyte regardless of which BRAND is used. This is what you want to see on the label of the bottle, what ever the brand. If that is there, your golden.

• API Service CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SL
    • Cummins CES 20078

5. kev2

kev2 wrench

I agree Nick - When I worked municipal fleet (city garage) the pick ups with cummins were always a dealer conversation NOT a Cummins concern.....

I now realized why the fleet vehicles were delivered by local dealers... they were the local contact.

The API is what I remember the owners manuals stating, never saw a brand name before even the dexos BS is a spec not a brand - BUT things change.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    If your going to go good oil and do it yourself, try this from your local walmart. Hard to beat 3 gallon jugs for 40$. just what you need for service. Spec for oil change is 11.4l.

This a great oil for your truck at a good price. Add to this a fleet oil filter, what can go wrong at that price? Sure it's a synthetic blend, but if you go rotella, thats 22$ a jug, so that is 66$. So that's 22$ you can invest in for a good oil filter. Hey, If I can save a few bucks here and there, why would I buy glorified diesel oil. This is not a ferrari. Just a good old cummins.

The main concern here is regular intervals. As these cummins do soot up quick with the turbo, EGR and all. So even if you have full synthetic in there, it will soot up as quick as regular or semi syn.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kendall-Super-D-XA-15W-40-3-1-gal-Case/517065667#about-item

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017