2018 Acura TLX Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by ChevyDude, Dec 2, 2017.

1. ChevyDude

ChevyDude Sr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Acura
    MODEL:TLX
    YEAR:2018
    MILES:4000
    ENGINE:4 cylinder
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Put her up on ramps to see how easy the oil filter was to get to. Turns out getting to the filter requires removing a shield, which isn't all that difficult. the problem is they carved out part of the oil pan to squeeze in the filter and there is no way I will be able to get my manly hands in there to tighten it up. Any suggestions on oil filter wrenches I can use to tighten it up that won't collapse the filter?

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

[​IMG] Something like this.

3. jd

jd Hero Member

The ones Mobile Dan showed look like metal. Get metal!! I first got plastic and it slips on a tight filter. If the filter is tight, I put the tool on, then an extension on and tap the extension to seat it tightly on the filter. Then tap it off once filter is out.

4. ChevyDude

ChevyDude Sr. Member

Thanks guys. I guess in the past I have tried something similar in plastic and didn't work worth a hoot. That should work as long as it doesn't damage the filter while allowing me to snug it tight. There is absolutely no way I can get my hands around the filter. Honda obviously had a method in mind when they designed it.

5. jd

jd Hero Member

If you get metal and it slips, then you tap it and it still slips, try the Valve Grinding Compound trick. Smear a little on the filter then tap the socket onto it. I wouldn't tighten it even as much as a plastic socket can get it. It's only about 2/3 turn after the gasket touches. Hand tight anyplace you can get a hand onto it.

6. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

+1 on the "hand tight is tight enough". But, you have to be able to wrap your hand around it. I have heard that a single sheet of non-glossy paper is very grippy if it is jammed between a oil filter and a cup type filter tool.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] A couple more styles that might work for you. The strap design is a favorite of mine for difficult situations.