4R70W 02 mustang 3.8

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by ivane21, May 7, 2017.

1. ivane21

ivane21 Full Member

Sales and Purchasing Manager, Mechanic,
    Please fill out the following to ask a question.

Ford:
    Mustang:
    2002:
    169000:
    3.8Liter V6:
    checked codes and various data with Snapon Solus ultra, no codes. Vehicle surges at take off, suspect transmission problem, once in a great while will slam into second gear and rear wheels will chirp.also when coming to a very fast stop the vehicle will seem to shudder, vibrate. Fluid looks fairly clean and full but I'm going to change anyways. Are there any tests I can do with the scanner before giving up?

I suspected stripped MLPS sensor at trans body and the 2 symptoms seems to fit perfectly. But I can see it shifts back and forth all intact. It does seems that when playing with the shifter at a stoplight it will shift 1 - 2 no problem when putting in low gear and back to drive. But when doing opposite from neutral to drive at stoplight I get the delay or surge...maybe slip but I don't think so. Are there any solenoids that I can change while the pan is off?
    I noticed the graphs while driving and the matching off/ on patterns of solenoid 1 and solenoid 2 and many times the solenoid 1 is off or slightly delayed...

Also car shifts perfect if done manually from low 1, low 2 to drive.

Any help is appreciated guys. I hope all of you are well.
    Thanks,
    Ivan

2. bp042665

bp042665 hunting nut

i just replaced a MLPS for the same problem

ivane21 likes this.
  3. ivane21

ivane21 Full Member

Sales and Purchasing Manager, Mechanic,
    Was the one you replaced stripped out? Could you visually verify it?

Mine has all they symptoms of bad MLPS sensor. Is there any test I could do?
    Can I use a part from Napa or does it need to come from. The dealership?

For adjustment I can just make sure those two lines are lined up or I need a tool?

When I was under and my wife shifted back and forth I did not see anything wrong except for the lines do not line up, I was tempted to adjust it but then thought it may make it worse...
    Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for so many questions...

Thanks,
    Ivan

4. bp042665

bp042665 hunting nut

yes 1 from NAPA is fine also with out the tool make sure its in neutral and them make sure the lines match up and tighten them down mine would read fine but as i was watching it drivin down the road it would drop the gear comand and go crazy the back to normal