[4T60E] Quad Driver Module B Fault (PWM TCC) After Shoddy Rebuild

It's just that getting my car inspected, and therefore registered, is an absolute top priority. I hate driving around with an expired sticker, worrying about cops... It's ridiculous. That's the whole point of the above exercise. I'd probably remove the resistor afterward and set about fixing this correctly.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, that stripped back insulation is a huge tell tale. Someone was at his wits end and threw all professionalism out the window.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't know if I read this or not, but was the park neutral thing settled first? That should be step one. May interfere with trouble shoot of 56.

Usually GM back then said to resolve those first.

But again, seeing the blunt damage to that connector, who knows what FAT hands got in there, if you get my drift.

:eek:

I must say, you were very assiduous in your posting. Using editor software and such. Again. Kudos. I wish I had your patience for that. Sadly, I fix cars for a living and it is very hard to do other things such as learn editing. But I have promised to do a video, and I wanted to know, what editing software are you using?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I happen to have a pack of 680 Ohm, 1/2 watt resistors on hand (from when I bypassed PassKey over a decade ago and turned it into a hidden kill switch).
This is a great option.

You pass, no one the wiser.

I am fortunate, we have absolutely no mandatory whatever inspections.

Only place in canada you will find such lax laws to do anything.

Algorithm for these 93' were very simple to hack. Could fool feedback carbs and first gen o2's the same way.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ANyway, as usual, I beat a thread to death, Op found the problem and was nice enough to provide a very nice HD picture, edited to boot.

Wish all newbies were like you.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This site is majorly for beginners, it is refreshing to see someone take trouble shooting to heart. A lot less parts changing and mandatory schooling would help.

This trade is sorely lacking. There is no back up. For example. We have 14-18 bays with only 7-8 guys. Half of which see this trade as "way to complex for the :money:"

And bottom line, they are right. It has to be a passion.

Knowing ohms law, you should find the resistance of that solenoid. Right? .4amp reading? 12v source.
Well its resistance is supposed to be 10 Ohms, but I can't measure it until I get the side cover of the transaxle off, because there's an open circuit inside. The other solenoid circuits (and the EGR) are measuring correct amperage at PCM.

All the PCM knows is whether the voltage is high or low in that circuit. A resistor should trick it, in theory.
I don't know if I read this or not, but was the park neutral thing settled first? That should be step one. May interfere with trouble shoot of 56.

Usually GM back then said to resolve those first.

But again, seeing the blunt damage to that connector, who knows what FAT hands got in there, if you get my drift.

:eek:

I must say, you were very assiduous in your posting. Using editor software and such. Again. Kudos. I wish I had your patience for that. Sadly, I fix cars for a living and it is very hard to do other things such as learn editing. But I have promised to do a video, and I wanted to know, what editing software are you using?
I think I fixed the PRNDL error. I'll go disconnect/reconnect the battery (and also throw on that resistor), and then see if any codes come back. I readjusted it a couple nights ago (I could see the outline where the bolts used to sit) and then the car would start in neutral again. It wasn't starting in neutral before I did that.

As for image editing software, I taught myself Photoshop about 20 years ago. It's a pretty steep learning curve. But I was persistent. Back then it was easy to get any "free" (i.e. cracked) software one wanted. It's still possible but not as easy. I've never paid a dime for software or operating systems (Windows) - not in 20 years. (I know, I'm a jerk!)

Fortunately for you that's not necessary though, because today you can get GIMP for free. https://www.gimp.org/
As for video editing software, lots of legitimately free options exist for that too. But I have less experience in that realm. I'd just google "free video editing software". The one time I did edit a video, I found it pretty easy due to prior experience with Photoshop and Flash.

Also, thanks for that PDF. I have the FSM, of course, but that's not as easy to reference compared to a PDF on my tablet.

This site is majorly for beginners, it is refreshing to see someone take trouble shooting to heart. A lot less parts changing and mandatory schooling would help.

This trade is sorely lacking. There is no back up. For example. We have 14-18 bays with only 7-8 guys. Half of which see this trade as "way to complex for the :money:"

And bottom line, they are right. It has to be a passion.
For me, in most endeavors -- whether computers or cars or small engines (fixed lawnmower today) or home appliances -- I'm just a cheapskate. I hate paying money to other people and I hate seeing things prematurely thrown away if they can be fixed. German heritage.

Plus, I like to learn. Knowledge is power and all. Honestly though, I'm only learning about transmissions because I have to. Car repair in general for that matter. I don't find it particularly enjoyable. I mean, not horrible but not fun. But I do like the satisfaction of fixing something and saving a ton of money. And then knowing how to do it for future reference.

Do you ever watch South Main Auto on YouTube? I actually wouldn't mind working in a small, slow-paced shop like that. But... I'd be a low-paid apprentice, and that's not good. I'm not 20 anymore. :confused:

It worked. Started car. No SES light, which means no DTC 56. Ran through the gears (without driving anywhere) -- no DTC 31 (PRNDL).

So I think this means I did in fact temporarily solve one problem and permanently fix the other. Tomorrow I'll get my inspection/registration, and that's one less thing to worry about.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also, thanks for that PDF. I have the FSM, of course, but that's not as easy to reference compared to a PDF on my tablet.
I try to that here. But lately, my wiring and pdf's were white on black.

It was a bullzip virtual thing and got resolved once I updated to 2019.

I haven't seen a 1993 in a while.

I did get a lumina APV van in the other day. It was a 95. My neurons went wild while I took out my timing light. The young bucks were amazed. They are brought up on COP, VVT and hybrids and full EV"s.

I am 44, am it takes alot of my personal to just keep up with the mux line, optiplex data lines etc. It is a huge endeavor for a guy who his idea of fun was saying "car" when you had to interrupt Wayne Gretzky and take the net away to the side.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
All the PCM knows is whether the voltage is high or low in that circuit. A resistor should trick it, in theory.
Now days, you would be false in this.

The new algorithms follow predetermined offsets to trigger. And now they are downloaded live via various connected ways.

I am on a daily basis with synch, tech stream etc for gps up grades at time of misfire for example. In real time, they can download a limp in mode to make "it home" in our jargon.

The other day. A veloster 1.6l turbo. Misfire galore, GDI system. I asked the owner to back me. I said it took all four COP's and I needed to clean the shock tower engine ground.

For a do it yourselfer, cleaning that ground does not justify the vast ammount of $$ out of pocket for 4 coils.