5R44E whine noise

I have a high pitched whine(not the gear whine) in my 2004 Ranger with the 3. 0 engine and the 5R44E transmission. The whine is primarily in 1st, and 2nd, and some times 3rd. The truck has 60K and I just changed the fluid with MerconV. No other problems and the old fluid was clean and pink. I checked the TSB's and found none for my year but did find one for the same problem with the same transmission, for the 2002 Ranger. The TSB# is 15785. Any ideas what causes this whine and am I headed for big problems or should I let it go? Thanks for any help.

jasonn20

Sounds like you may experienceing a torque converter whine. It would be a good idea to try some Lubegard additive. They usually sell this at most auto part stores. I will take a little driving to get it mixed well.

jasonn20

Lubegard and SmartBlend are the two additves I can highly recommend. They are basically the same but made by different manufactures.

Lucas trans treatment will just sink to the bottom of the pan and it does not mix as good.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Have you checked your transmission mount? I have found this symptom common when the rubber wears out and allows direct grounding of the metal to metal. The whine usually goes away in 3rd though but this trans uses planets in 3rd (quasi) and will allow a whine. GM very common for trans whine with bad mount also. Transman

The fluid was clean and pink and I changed the filter. The pan looked clean too. The whining noise hasn't got worse,. but it hasn't got better either. I hear it in all gears so I'm thinking it's the torque converter. Do you know what the TSB #15785 fix was in 2002?

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
That TSB sounds like a NHTSA number and if so, is meaningless. They make a bulletin if the driver sneezes while the car is going 41.5 MPH while a raccoon dances in the carrot patch.
I saw no bulletins on whine, plenty on delays and slips on shifts and FWIW, they make a 4R55E, 5R55E, 4R44E, but no 5R44E model trannys. I checked all these trannys for whine bulletins. This is a very strange symptom for this trans, has it every been replaced/overhauled? I know one of the regular posters on this forum has had several transmissions replaced/repaired under warranty with no real long term success.
Not to harp, but when you checked the trans mount, was the rubber still fairly soft? Not gushy from an oil leak either? Post back, Transman

Transman, my mistake, it's a 5R55E. The mounts are dry with no big cracks. I've only owned the truck for a few months so I don't know it's history other than Carfax. It has 60K miles. The noise seems worse when the fluid is cold in the morning and lessens somewhat once things get warm. Thanks again.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Ok, Just trying to pin this down a little. You, in first post, said the whine was in 1st, 2nd, and somtimes 3rd..... 2 posts ago, you said it is in ALL gears....It is important to have the correct symptoms to help track this down. Does the noise go away or change at steady highway speed? Does it go away or change as the trans shifts? I am assuming the whine seems to float with engine rpm rather than road speed. Try to give me as much detail as you can.
I know chrysler dealers can give you a history of repairs or warranty work done at any dealership, I am pretty sure ford can also. Take the VIN in or call the local dealer to see if any trans work has been done to this vehicle. You might even see if any recalls are unfulfilled to. If you haven't done the lubegard yet, don't. I AM a fan of lubegard but not so much on their mercon V additive. Also, You didn't mention if the whine was there before you serviced it or if the whine changed at all after the service. Post back, Transman

Transman I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll be much more consistent now to clear up my inconsistencies.

First, it's difficult to hear in the upper gears but still may be there, I just can't hear the whine (unless the window is open) except in first second and third. It's much more pronounced in the morning, when the fluid is cold. It doesn't get louder when the fluid warms, but it doesn't disappear either. It matches engine speed and not road speed. There's no noise in neutral.

I bought the truck in August 2008 with a little under 57k. A week after I bought it I changed all the fluids and and filters, checked the brakes and changed the brake fluid, etc. When I drove the truck, before buying, the whine was there but(foolishly I now understand and admit), I didn't think it was such a great deal. Maybe it still isn't, but I'm the type of owner and shadetree mechanic that can't let even the little stuff go.

I will go the local Ford dealer with the Vin and run a maintenance history check and, I agree, and won't add anything to the tranny until I'm relatively sure what the problem is and what solution is best. I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks again.