79 El Camino brake issue pedal goes way down

Website
www.facebook.com
Same kind of trick without pinching the line to get you home. Blown wheel cylinder or caliper. Take brake line off of the cylinder or caliper and put a common nail in the line. When you re-tighten the line the nail head seals off the fluid. Gotten many buses and cars home that way. Always had a selection in my tool box

jd

Easier than what I did. Had a few flare unions with a flare plug in one end to make a cap for the line.

JP

No warning light on that model, but I did get home OK on 2 brakes.

Filled it up, had a friend pump the pedal (improved it just a little bit...maybe), no immediate detectable leaks. Today it looks like it's leaking underneath the differential area, which seems like it would point to the flex line. Yippee (maybe). Wondering what sort of fitting-loostening-corrosion nightmare awaits...

In any case, IF that's it, the "rear center" brake hose is less than ten bucks. Yippee.

BTW, anyone have an OEM part number for that hose? :)

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, anyone have an OEM part number for that hose?
No, I have no OEM numbere in my database for your application, but I am pretty sure any rear end differential across the GM line was the same length, diameter and universal SAE fittings for that flex line. I think an old 1982 gm rear end flex line would fit perfectly on this 79 camino.

Any twelve bolt diff cover from early 70's to late 80's or so had the same shyte set up. So choose the cheapest one. IT WILL FIT.

Anything from a malibu, nova, impala will fit. I am on my database right now, 1982 monte carlo is showing OEM part # for rear flex hose as follows.

Here is a snapshot. I am 100% sure it will fit. Can probably get that for 12$ or so. Screenshot (157).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Unless something major happened in the GM division back in 1980, I was 5yrs old then BTW, I am pretty sure Lee Iaccocacola didn't make any major disguise changes to a 5'0' gm rear end even if he was head of Chrysler in 78. That guy had his hand in all the the pies of american automotive engineering. All american muscle back in those days had interchangeable parts. I am sure a rear flex line from a old dakota would fit. Best to stick with a 12 bolt rear end

Anyway, I like being an idiot sometimes, but I think with the part number I gave you, you should be fine. Wish I had a 79 camino to boot around in. Those are very rare in my part of the planet.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Btw, is it sold? If not, what is your asking price? I am in the market right now for a summer car. If you want, pm me. I know your from the states. We can talk particulars. If it is to expensive to ship across border, I will let that go. But if you can drive it close to niagara falls. I can take it from there.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. I am in the market for a good classic such as this.

JP

Not sold yet. Paid $4000 for it, if I can get that back, I'm happy.

I did find an aftermarket part listed on RockAuto.com. Will also check the local auto parts store.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Any chance you can post a few pictures here or pm them to me? Also a few bits of info, such as trans, auto or 4 speed man? 305, 0r 350. I mostly want to see what the chrome looks like. Fewer and fewer guy's up here are re-chroming.

A few pics would help me to see if the difference in $ from CAD to US is worth it. I also would need to get that inspected before driving it here. All american cars need a full inspection, as I am sure it is, if for some reason ppl want a quebec car down there. Usually, we import from you guy's as your cars are in way better shape than what quebec road salt does to a car of this age.

4000$ for you, means 4921.81$ for me. Plus, I got to get it from you to me. And I have no idea where you live. I also can't step foot on american soil.

But like I said, not very many of these camino's up here. So I am ready to talk if the car is worth the effort. SO again, if you can, post a few pics of body, chrome and maybe engine bay. I don't care about the powertrain, I will probably be pulling that anyway and going monster garage on that since we have no emmision laws here. It could be spewing raw gas out the exhaust and the cops can't do a thing about it as long as I ain't straight pipe headers.

82 Pace Arrow developed a pedal to the floor problem, redid all the brakes around 13 years ago. Disc in front, drums in the rear, dual master cylinder large reservoir for the fronts, less than a quarter of the size for the rear.

Last spring, the rear was empty, just filled it up, pumped the pedal a couple of times, then had a full pedal, most of the fluid was left in the fall, one heck of a very slow leak. Sure its empty now, but also -4*F. Maybe the problem is, it sits too long, but sure not looking forward to removing the drums, was 13 years younger then, they weigh a ton. Really developed bad back problems since then.

Those guys on Counting Cars, Velocity, Gas Monkey and other car TV shows would go positivity nuts over a El Camino, should try contacting them.

Ha, when I first saw K-9 fell in love with Jerry Lee, the German Shepherd dog, got the name of the trainer, learned the bleeder was only 120 miles from me, picked up his first cousin, and was even better than Jerry Lee.

Was watching that Gas Monkey guy, picked up a rusted out non-running 91 DeVille exactly like my 92, but mine was near mint and was lucky to get $2,000.00 for it. He paid $4K for that POS, who knows, maybe he will give you $8K for your El Camino, never know until you try. And let him worry about your brakes.

Website
www.facebook.com
Do not believe those crap shows nothing real with REALITY TV or the money they supposedly make. Was watching an Alaska show last night both driving 10K plus brand new snow machines complaining the had to use a hand auger to ice fish. It is all crapola!

JP

Aha! The flex line is fine. Found a pinhole in the brake line running from the MC to the flex line, as it ran over the frame.

Now...how to splice in a new piece...?

Compression fitting or flare the end? (Yeah, I know, flare it, right?)

Also, what size brake line is on this car? I measured about 3/16" o.d. from the flex line to the brakes, is it 3/16 or 1/4" from the MC to the rear flex line?

And I should use a springwrap to protect the new line, eh?

Last edited:
Pretty sure the line will be the same size (3/16) at the repair site. I have never "used springwrap" when replacing a line. Is that possible?