79 firebird front subframe bushing replace.

mjs

Has anyone done this job and if so, Is it normal for the bolt to move back and forth slightly? I know it has a caged nut on the other end. Don't know if that caged nut should move at all. thanks for any feedback.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I can not say for sure on that particular application, but generally caged nuts are used when movement is desired, to provide some adjustment or allow for parts tolerances. When movement is not needed/wanted, weld nuts are the choice

grcauto

Has anyone done this job and if so, Is it normal for the bolt to move back and forth slightly? I know it has a caged nut on the other end. Don't know if that caged nut should move at all. thanks for any feedback.
Should not be loose when installed.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Indeed! I hope I didn't mislead the OP into thinking it should be loose after being tightened...

big al

I can tell you they will be loose when loose and will get rock solid tight after tightening. They are loose so that the frame and body can be sqared and aligned ftom the factory. However often what will happen with these cars and the camaros is hole will will wear oblong and make it difficult to sqare up. We did all the mounts on my sons T/A and had to repair the mount holes on almost all of them.