87 built 318 falls on face

that stock decal is great but that is no longer the full picture.
Lets talk about the dist, do you have wiring dia for it, we will need to understand how integrated it is with ESC lean burn or what it was back then.

The carb 750cfm seams a good choice - just that is a lot of carb to snap open esp with a cam -
This is a rebadged 'carter' carb so we have to go way back to the old days and memories are fading (for me).
> A thought - try richening OR leaning - maybe cover secondary's or open a vac leak, see if either improves flat spot- its doing something to address this.

I suggest you get engine vacuum at idle, and add info on the dist, how many wires, colors, maybe its just a 87 dodge plug in.
But why mech and vac systems on a computer controlled dist, seams unnecessary if a 'PCM' will be doing timing.

Vac at idle is 17 in. Thats idle set at 1100 rpm bc when put in gear idle drops to 750rpm just above choking out. Dist. Was just 2 wire red/black. I assumed the same that pcm would take over timing regardless of vac adv. But after talking to carb shop he told me to put vac adv dist. To smooth out flat spot, so ot the ok and gave it a shot. And here i sit teeth on floor wishing i had some salt for this pavement. Lol

I will look for wiring diag for esc-dist and get back to you. Thankyou all again!!! I really love the camaraderie here

17" at idle - What is base timing deg? That is with vac removed from dist.
did you play with metering rod springs yet?
Accelerator pump rod location?

Base timing is 10°btdc, havent messed w/ metering rod springs, accelerator pump is on position closest to carb body giving it most throw possible havent tried least throw yet bc middle was worse than most

billr

wrench
Staff member
No doubt this EGR is purely vacuum operated, but is it a single port or two vacuum ports? I still am a bit suspicious of the EGR, and would block the actual EGR flow, not just try to disable it by disconnecting vacuum lines.

LynnM

That is a big cam for 318. That cam will not start working until about 3K RPM. Auto ? You may need a looser converter or a lower gear ratio for it to preform

Ok got fuel press. And somehow its reading 1 psi if i kink hose or put it in gear, otherwise its reading 0psi at idle.... Gonna change pump. This system should b at 7-9 psi if i remember correctly (please correct me if im wrong)

billr

wrench
Staff member
5 psi is what I usually look for with a carb; but it isn't real critical, you just need enough to fill the bowl.

Ok now i am getting about 5 psi. But if computer changes timing thru single connector, wont it still fight the vac adv system i put on it(even w/vac disc @ esc)?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, and that's why I feel I can't really help you. You have a bizarre system now, of unknown config.

I'll ask again... will your emissions requirements allow you to deviate from stock? If not, put it all back stock; the ignition system should be adequate like that. If you can deviate from stock, then there are aftermarket options to get this beast working fine by eliminating the stock ECU.

This truck leaves for colorado tomorrow not sure what their emissions are but would have to assume its pretty comparable to ours. I cant really go "stock" unfortunately it came with a 2bbl factory but cust. put 4bbl on before bringing it to me. I know this is frustrating but seems like its getting close

billr

wrench
Staff member
It is going to remain in CO? The customer really needs to figure out what emissions requirements are going to be. All this work may be a waste of time and money if the new manifold and carb aren't allowed; no matter how well you can get it to run. Same for the ignition stuff.