93 Lumina Euro 3.1L 4T60E trans shifting issues

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by jakester29, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jakester29

jakester29 Newbie

I bought this car recently for cheap, and being a cheapie, I had to do a few things to it to drive it. Get what you pay for, and all that. My problem is the transmission will not shift on its own. If you put it it OD or D, it takes off (albeit rather slowly) in 3rd gear. If you put it in 2 or 1, it takes off in 2nd regardless of which gear you select, and won't shift to 3rd or OD by itself. It doesnt slip whatsoever when manually shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but that's all I have to work with. Needless to say, this is destroying my gas mileage. At 60 mph, its turning roughly 3000rpm, which isn't good for a motor with 230k on it. The guy I bought it from said this trans is the 2nd one in it, and it had roughly 110k on it when it was installed. I've done basic maint to it (filter, fliuid exchange, pan gasket, etc), but this one's got me stumped. At least it'll still spin the tires taking off in 2nd, or this wouldn't be any fun at all, huh?Shift solenoid maybe? ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

2. crunch

crunch wrench

How is the fluid level and condition?
    Any check engine lights on?
    Check for codes and post back code no.
    Look in trouble codes upper right hand corner of this web page.
    SOME YOU CAN JUMPER PIN A AND B and get codes

3. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Don't have the car at the moment (wife's gotta go get the boy from school), but the fluid level and condition are spot on. I work at a lube shop, so it'd be kinda stupid for me to be low on any fluids. I DO know there aren't any check engine lights on. Here in about an hour, I'll try to jump the pins on the diagnostic port and post any codes that come up. Thanks for reminding me about that method of checking them, had myself a big "DUH" moment when I read that! :-[

4. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Ok, I got the code. Here's the problem: It's a code 12, and the trouble codes from this site start at 13! :mad: I'm going to look in my repair manual to see if it has a trouble code chart, but this is frustrating to say the least! I always thought a code 12 was just affirming you've entered the code scanning mode, but I could be wrong. I'll be watching for your reply, THANKS!

5. Transman

Transman Receptionist & Complaint Dept.

Home Page:
    Correct, code 12 means check complete and there are no codes. Does that trans still use the TV cable? There will be a cable that goes from the throttle body to the top of the trans. This cable controls shift points, the vacuum modulator controls shift strength and the governor over-rides both. Your problem might be as simple as the governor gear stripped and it is fairly easy to get to on this trans. If you are full electric (no cable & no governor) then the output sensor might be going bad, computer itself, wiring, or bad grounds. '93 was the first year for the GM electric controlled trannys and depending on the production date might be partial or full electric. A scanner hooked up while you drive will tell tons. See if the speedo reading is working properly, if the trans computer is being told you are only doing 10 mph then it won't shift on it's own. How sure are you that this is the proper trans for this car? Are all the connectors plugged into the tranny? Post back with more info, Transman

6. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Once again, I don't have the car at the moment, but I can answer a couple things off the top of my head. The speedometer itself IS accurate. Whether or not it's telling the trans the truth is another question, however. And I'm 100% positive it IS a TV cable equipped car. That was one of the 1st things I tried. "Start cheap and simple", thats what dad always preached. Can't find any empty, loose, or otherwise damaged wiring connections as of yet. I'll give it another go-over when it gets back. Do I need a specialized trans scanner to run while I'm driving? If so, where does it hook up at? And I'm fairly sure it's the right trans, but NOT 100% sure, so there you go. Sorry I can't be more informative, been quite a few strange hands in this cookie jar before I got ahold of it. One of the cons of cheap cars. Thanks again for any info!

7. Transman

Home Page:
    Good Info! First thing to try... engine running in park at idle, Pull (banjo) TV cable and listen for engine pitch change also how does it retract when you let go. Clean & fast or slow and retarded. Second thing re-do your adjustment, you may be so far out that the trans is in failsafe. Release the lock and pull the conduit all the way back then let go the button and do a full throttle (key off). Third, pull the vacuum line off the vacuum modulator and look for any trace of fluid inside the line. There are 2 different modulators, long nose and short nose and it depends on the modulator valve itself. It is possible that someone else replaced the modulator and put the wrong one in. I can tell you how to tell the difference. Post back when you get more info, Transman

8. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Ok, I actually have the car ALL DAY today. :eek: Lemme get this shop up and running, and I'm bound and determined to get to the bottom of this thing today!!! Stay tuned.....

9. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Ok, TV cable is adjusted. Nice smooth release action, all wiring harnesses accounted for and attached. No moisture evident in vacuum line on modulator, does seem canted toward drivers side of engine bay a smidge though. Not loose, can't move it at all. Did find a metal bracked attached to main trans harness, bolted it to the only location it would reach (a bolt with no obvious purpose, by the way. Ground location?) It was a metal bracket, too. No difference in behavior. Just dropped the pan to investigate, no mentionable amount of material on magnet, filter nice n tight, etc. Runnin out of ideas AND patience, don't really feel like droppin the trans out of it. Not too much fun on these damned front wheel drives compared to good old rear wheel drives I'm used to! Wrong vacuum modulator is last thing I can think of to replace before all that, post back if I'm just getting impatient and ahead of myself, or with any other advice, for that matter...

10. millymills31

millymills31 Newbie

there should be a shift soleniod located on the top of the tranny were the shifter cable snaps on.
    it may be bad. i had that problem with a 92 lumina 3.1

11. dealer1

dealer1 Full Member

If you have a tv cable this is not a 4t60e.E stands for electronic shift.You probably have a 4t60.The throttle cable adjustment is critical because it controls the shift.

12. jake29

jake29 Newbie

Yes, I saw that solenoid when I was rummaging around in there. That was one of my 1st thoughts as to it's behavior. As to it not being a 4T60E, is it possible to put the pan off an electronic shift trans onto a cable operated trans? Only reason I ask is because the pan says "4T60E" plain as day, but it sure as shit has a TV cable. Thank you for that info, though. Didn't realize that was what the "E" designated. Probably would've if I'd thought about it. I figured out "T" for transverse and "L" for longitudinal all on my lonesome. ;D What is the likelihood of that trans being in this car? It's a 4sp (or 3sp w/OD, whichever. Never really understood the difference, but that's why I'm here isn't it?) Could someone have slapped a 3sp trans in a car meant for 4? Gonna replace shift solenoid here shortly, will post back with results. (FINGERS, TOES, ETC CROSSED)

13. crunch

crunch wrench

What kind of electrical plug does it have in front of the transmission?
    A big round one or a 3-4 wire square plug?
    If the big round one with a bunch of wires it is electronic..

14. Transman

Home Page:
    It has a modulator & a cable and it will have solenoids inside but they are NOT shift solenoids. This trans is a 4T60 (440T4). This trans is semi electronically controlled but not completely '93 was the first year for the "E" in GM. Your problem is probably in the governor circuit and you will need to remove it to find out, 2 bolts will do it, the gear might be "apple cored" or the teflon seal might be worn out. Did you hear the engine pitch change when you pulled the TV cable (with the engine running)? Post back, Transman