93 Pontiac Bonn. bad miss at higher rpm

Hey guys, I have a 93 Bonn. with a 3.8L. It has a few miles (263K) ;). The car idles very smooth but will not accept throttle over a certain rpm. I mean it misses really bad like its jumping time or something. In overdrive at highway speeds it will not drop down into passing gear because it misses so bad. As long as you are real easy you don't notice anything. I replaced the fuel filter but it did not help. Should I get the fuel pressure checked? I would like to get a few more miles out of it if I could. Thanks

Gus

wrench
Check for spark out of the secondary ignition.....last tuneup?

Hello Gus, thanks for the reply. You said to Check for spark out of the secondary ignition, but I do not know how. I know that that are 3 coils but not much else about the ignition system. The car has been tuned regularly.

Paul

I'm The Decider
Get an inline spark tester,place it between the spark plug wire and the spark plug,start the engine and watch the tester,its light should flash.Something else you can do is take a close look at the coils.Ive seen a few of them cracked.Spray a fine mist of water over the coils,best to this in the dark,and look for signs of electricity arcing.Try this at idle and higher rpms.

Gus

wrench
One more thing that could be misleading you into a misfire and lack of power could be a plugged cat, also.....

fixed Thanks Gus and Paul, It's not fixed yet but will be tomorrow. I hooked #1 plug to the tester and clamped it to the alternator bracket. Fired it up to watch the tester. At the same time I noticed about 1/2 inch spark come from the top coil to the bracket. Took the tester off, replace the plug wire and yep it was arcing from the top coil. It cost me $23 from the orange store and I also got a new set of wires free (warranty). Thanks for your help guys. Scott
P.S. how does a person contribute to BAT?