'96 Mopar A604 P0300, Won't move

Mealticket

Good call by you...I don't get 12V at pin 4 of the solenoid even with engine running, and tracing it back I don't get it at the relay or at pin 15 of the TCM. This might also explain why there is no CEL/tranny codes. I wonder if the TCM went first, kid was driving around in 1st and didn't know it, blew up the rear planet, etc.

Last edited:

Mealticket

Hey could a slightly stipped front planet cause a whine in park and neutral only? If not, what might? Thanks,

D.

This tranny made the same noise when it had a different pump and converter. This is a Frankenstein build...I put a new bypass valve in it. I have no way to air test anything,

MT

Well it doesn't matter...this thing is toast. Pretty sure something tore loose the first time it tried to upshift. Hitting the yards on 1/2 off sale, found a great donor. Hey, could you confirm this '90 degree' vs. offset converter bolt hole thing...Dacco and everybody else I see shows '96, '97, etc, can have either one, but Dacco catalog shows a note on the 90 degree unit 'EMCC1 grooved friction', which I think was more of an early 2000s thing. Are these catalogs just covering their arses and/or they're lazy? I know my '96 is offset because I did have to spin the converter once to align two holes. I suppose I could grab the flex plate off the donor but cash is extremely tight,

MT

Mealticket

$50 tranny is awesome. So far doesn't even seem to need pinion factor/quick relearn, even though I replaced the TCM too. Thanks for all the help,

MT

Resurrecting this as I need to take nickb2's advice and beef up my resources with an ELM327 dongle before chasing my next project. However, there is a major problem with cheap, counterfeit Chinese knock-offs that don't actually contain the ELM327 chip and not only may not work, but could do damage to the vehicle. I see that a company out of Australia called Total Care Diagnostics developed a quality clone of the ELM 327 so they didn't have to pay licensing fees. Apparently it does everything that dongles using the genuine ELM327 chip can do, and it's $37. It certainly seems worth the extra few bucks for peace of mind. Thoughts?

Mealticket