96 Silverado

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Pious Thomas, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Pious Thomas

Pious Thomas Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
    MODEL:k1500
    YEAR:1996
    MILES:127,000
    ENGINE:350
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....starter engaged twice while I was in drive and it happened when I stepped on the gas both times.

2. Pious Thomas

Pious Thomas Newbie

alright so for a little back story I went shopping came out and tried to start my vehicle. It started but made a grinding noise so I shut it off right away. I crawled under neath of it and saw that my starter was no longer bolted in. I put a new starter in it about 2 years ago and I do not believe I overtightened the bolts but I must have and they were snapped off in the block. The grinding noise was coming from the starter being shifted in the housing and it grinding against my flywheel. I came back the next day to try to get the bolts snapped off and as I started working on it, mind you I still had everything connected to the start and the battery on my truck, the starter started sparking and engaging. So I got out from under it and unhooked the battery had it towed to a shop to get them to get the bolts out as I did not have any further luck trying to get them out myself. This happened a week ago and I just got the truck back today and it drove great until I got out from work. I started it up got to the first stop sign in the parking lot and hit the gas too about 2500rpm to get on the road. Heard the starter engage so I got off that road and turned into another parking lot. It did it again as I was leaving this parking lot and right as I revved up to about 2500rpm again. I am not sure what to start looking at with this but I limped the truck home just keeping it at low rpms and it made it home without it doing it again. I disconnected the battery because I figured there was a short in it but I won't have time to look at it for about a week so I figured I would post on here and see if you guys could give me some things to look for. Thanks again.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Idea. Can you replicate this starter engagement @ 2500rpm in park or in neutral? Or only in drive?

That would be a good beginner point to know if the short is coming from the PRNDL switch.

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Could be a short in the yel to ppl wire which runs past the crank fuse. So if you can't replicate this in park or in neutral, then the transmission range switch may be at fault, but I would most assuredly wiggle test this harness first.

Here is a wiring of your starter setup for clarification. Screenshot (114).png

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    If red is touching ppl then it it is bypassing park and neutral which should go to ground and not actuate the starter. Start there.

If any of this makes sense, post back. If it does not make sense, I will word my writing differently as I am a french Canadian and you are a newbie and you may take my wording in a different manner than those costumed to my postings. I am a senior member here and usually my diagnosis of problems is spot on when I am in concert with the poster.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    As for why it is engaging at 2500rpm, probably just because the engine is torquing the harness enough at that load to cross the red and purple enough to create a direct path for starter engagement. At lower rpm's, the engine is not twisting/torquing the harness enough for those two wires to touch.

Make sense??

7. Pious Thomas

Pious Thomas Newbie

Sounds good I may try to look at it tomorrow and get back to you guys. Thanks for the input

8. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I gotta ask... have you looked to see if the starter came loose again? How about taking it back to the shop that did the starter work?

9. kev2

kev2 wrench

I gotta ask -
    Truck is STOCK ?
    no remote starter?
    Also
    DId you check for codes? There was a kickback issue - over advanced timing damaging starters, will need to dbl ck years but a CKP issue.

PS: an automatic trans?