97 Ford Explorer Question

Hey B.a.t.,

Just register to this forum and I think it GREAT! I hope many people realize what a great help this is and don't take it too lightly.
Well I have a 97 Ford Explorer 4.0 ohv and I got a 2 mils readings PO133 and PO153. Both of these are to do with oxygen sensors slow respones bank 1 and bank 2. The truck also luges on uphill, so I replaced the fuel filter and also transmission filter and fluid but that didn't help.So I took the vehicle to a mechanic and he found a T.S.B. # 97-15-22. So he said that the ECM could be flashed or reprogrammed by the Ford dealer and this would take can of it. I haven't seen the T.S.B ,so I don't know if that's what he read or if that's just his opinion. Any help is much appreciated and I intended to continue to help with forum with donations wether or not anyone can help with this particular problem. I think it is a wonderful thing!

Jason

kev2

wrench
I woul d start by checking with FOMOCO to see if reprograming was already done OR needed

be advised it may NOT be covered under warranty....

97-15-22

07/21/97

^ MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) - MIL LAMP
ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTCS) P0133 AND P0153 STORED IN MEMORY -
EXPLORER WITH 4.0L OR 5.0L ENGINE, AND
MOUNTAINEER WITH 5.0L ENGINE

^ LAMP - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL)
ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
(DTCS) P0133 AND P0153 STORED IN MEMORY -
EXPLORER WITH 4.0L OR 5.0L ENGINE, AND
MOUNTAINEER WITH 5.0L ENGINE

LIGHT TRUCK:
1996-97 EXPLORER
1997 MOUNTAINEER

CALIBRATION:
6-54G-R05, 6-54G-R11, 6-54G-R12, 7-54G-R12, 6-57B-R10, 6-57R-R10, 6-58B-R10, 6-58R-R10

WARNING : THIS MODIFICATION IS AUTHORIZED ONLY FOR THE LISTED ENGINE. PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION ON OTHER ENGINE CALIBRATIONS IS UNAUTHORIZED AND COULD CREATE LIABILITY UNDER APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR LOCAL LAWS.

ISSUE:

The Malfunction indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0133 and P0153 stored in memory with no driveability concerns present. This may be caused by an interaction with the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) monitor software and the purge vapor management software, and could result in the above listed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) codes.

ACTION:

Reprogram the PCM using the Service Bay Diagnostic System (SBDS) or the New Generation Star (NGS) Tester. The PCM control strategy was revised to prevent a purge "reset" from occurring while running the HEGO monitor. If a reset occurs while running the HEGO test, the strategy now exits the HEGO test. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. For all MIL concerns, conduct normal diagnostics and repair as required.

2. Check to verify vehicle does not have the latest calibration. If it does not, reprogram the PCM with the appropriate calibration, referring to the calibration information using the April 1997 or later CD-ROM.

NOTE : FOR VEHICLES WITH CALIBRATION 6-54G-R05, IT IS MANDATORY TO REPLACE THE FUEL TANK PRESSURE TRANSDUCER (F6DZ-9C052-CA) WHEN UPGRADING TO THE 6-54G-R12 CALIBRATION. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN MIL ACTIVATION WITH DTC CODE P0446 STORED IN MEMORY.

Obtain an Authorized Modification Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F6DZ-9CO52-CA Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer
F6PZ-12A650-DTA Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
F77Z-12A650-BLD Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
F6PZ-12A650-KB Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
F6PZ-12A650-LB Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
F6PZ-12A650-MB Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
F6PZ-12A650-NB Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

971522A Reprogram Powertrain 0.2 Hr.
Control Module (PCM)

971522B Replace Powertrain Control 0.3 Hr.
Module (PCM)

971522C Additional Time To 0.2 Hr.
Replace Fuel Tank
Pressure Transducer