97 Nissan Sentra auto trans capacity and refilll

jay

My brother bought a low mile 97 Nissan Sentra recently (60, 000 miles) and I volunteered to change the automatic trans fluid and filter for him.

I would appreciate the refill capacity (after pan drop) and also the type of tranny fluid to use. I have 4 new quarts of Nissan-matic D fluid from a vehicle I owned several years ago.

thanks

Hey Jay...this is what Alldata shows.....Transman will know if it is different when he gets on here..it is probably only 4 or 5 quarts just dropping the pan.....Jim......

Capacity Specifications
Notes

Automatic Transmission Fluid 7.0L (7.4 Qt US)

Approximate fill, make final check with dipstick.Fluid Type Specifications
Notes

Recommended Fluid Nissan ATF or DEXRON IIE or DEXRON III ATF

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Nissamatic "D" is just another name for DEX III which is no longer available as a named fluid. You can safely use a name brand that meets ONLY Dex III/ mercon specs. This one may take 4 quarts to fill on a pan drop. Transman

jay

Transman said:
Nissamatic "D" is just another name for DEX III which is no longer available as a named fluid. You can safely use a name brand that meets ONLY Dex III/ mercon specs. This one may take 4 quarts to fill on a pan drop. Transman
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the Nissian's "D" tranny fluid was a special blend; unique to their trans and required to be used for proper operation. I did not know it was just Dex3 in a Nissan bottle.... :ROFL