98 caravan p0401 & p0403

abrad

I have a 98 caravan that popped a p0401 (egr flow insufficient/egr system failure) about a month ago. I checked around, no loose fittings, so I cleared the code to see what would happen -- it hasn't come back. Yesterday it popped a p0403 (egr flow circuit malfunction/egr solenoid circuit). I have been experiencing a rough idle in the AM (when the outside temp has been 5-15 degrees), stalling, low rpm's, until the engine warms up, then runs okay. Everything I have seen online points to either the solenoid or the valve needing replacement, but I don't want to just throw money at it and hope that fixes the problem. Is it possible that it is just dirty and needs a clean out? (other info online I have seen has inferred that this may be a possibility). Any help is appreciated before I blindly venture forth :) thanks...

Paul

I'm The Decider
Which engine are you asking about.Given most of the problems seem to occur in cold weather,its likely a carbon buildup is the problem.Carbon causes a lot of problems with a cold engine simply because carbon is almost like cement in cold temps.Look at the egr system and anything that is prone to carbon deposits should be considered suspect.

abrad

Sorry it took so long
to get back -- no help at work and no help at home -- all work and no play for me :(
replaced the egr valve and cured the problem -- finished out the cold weather with no problems and making it thru the summer a-ok to boot