98 ford contour 2.0 dohc sputters but no start

my neighbor has a 98 contour with a 2. 0 dohc zetec engine. it had 2 active codes in memory. 1 for cam sensor circuit, which i found a wire damaged at the plug, and a code for cam timing too retarded. he elected to go and replace the cam sensor, which did not fix the problem. i cleared the codes with my scanner, and all i get now is a p1000 code that i cant find much info on. car still wont start, i have fuel pressure, spark and sufficient air supply. it does seem to act as if it is trying to fire on 1 cylinder, but nothing more. after reading some of the posts on here, i am beginning to lean towards a timing belt problem. i am stumpted.

Did the car just quit running while driving or not start one day?....Try spraying some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it starts...Here is some info on the p1000.....Jim..........
NOTE: It is not necessary to clear DTC P1000 from the PCM by driving the vehicle unless it is requested by the customer to pass an inspection/ maintenance test. Inform the customer of the need for additional driving when required to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

DESCRIPTION
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1000 indicates that not all of the On Board Diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors have completed. In some states, this DTC must be cleared to pass an inspection/maintenance test. The customer should be informed that the law specifies additional city and highway driving must be done to complete the check of the on board diagnostic system. This additional driving must occur before the vehicle is tested at the inspection/maintenance station. The amount of driving required varies with individual driving patterns.

NOTE: The only way a DTC P1000 can be removed from memory is when all the OBD II monitors have successfully completed.

DTC P1000 is set by the PCM with any of the following conditions:

- The vehicle is new from the factory and has not yet completed an OBD II drive cycle.
- The battery or PCM has been disconnected.
- An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle.
- The PCM DTCs have been cleared with a scan tool as part of a service process.

I have the identical engine in my 98 ZX2. I once tripped the cam sensor code by using too heavy an oil (20W-50). It didn't matter that it was summer and the engine had 150K. Heavy oil or sludge from neglected oil will slow up action of the variable cam timing (VCT) solenoid, and trip a cam sensor code. Of course, a bad VCT solenoid will also trip the cam sensor code. My problem went away with a 5W-30 oil change.

CraigE

I know these had a problem with the timing belt idlers. You may have lost an idler bearing and the belt jumped. Check compression if you can and see if it is low or normal. Let us know. CRAIG