98 Subaru Forester-Techincal Question

Ok looking at buying said car with 75K miles and automatic trannie
Does this car have a timing belt? I have read head gaskets can go bad in these. . How expensive to replace? What should i look for as far a s repair costs and quirks. . . Car drives well and everything works from what i could tell. . .

Paul

I'm The Decider
It does have a timing belt.The labor time to replace both head gaskets is about 12 hrs,so X that by whatever the labor rates are in your area.I replaced the heads,head gaskets on an older XT years ago,same engine,but I can't say whether or not the problem still continues on newer models.

ironhead

They do still have problems with head gaskets. Take it for a good, long test drive. Make sure there are some good, long hills to pull. That is where the head gasket problem will show up the most. When you get back, check the coolant in the overflow resovoir. If it is way over full or even blowing out of the cap, you have a major problem. Otherwise, you should be allright. Despite this, these are actually a very good car usually, but like anything else, a lot depends on prior maintenance.
Guy

Thanks! LAbor rates here are about $90 an hour, so thats $1,100 plus parts. . So $1,500 in total. . Not bad imho. . . Im really sold on it and it seemed to do well on the first drive, but a second is in order. . .
I have a bill of sale already, but am not bound yet. . . .

Just a quick update
I passed on the forester. . . . I found an even better, slightly higher mileage (118K) Outback that was more "butch" for $5,000. . One owner car that was brought here from Hawaii! So im excited. . . Subaru dealer says its in superb shape, will need a t-belt soon and brake fluid flush. . . And its $1500 for them to do head gaskets, $900-1000 for a subaru specilist. . . .

Thanks again

robian

Hi it1s usually the 2.5 motors that have head gasket problems @ the heads go soft which will throw the $1100 out the window if you have to buy new heads.
Cheers Ian J