ABS light intermittently comes on and stays lit on startup.

jr31

Make
Ford
Model
Explorer XLT
Year
Miles
just under 68,000
Engine
4.0L V6
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with just under 68,000 original miles on it. The vehicle is really clean, no rust, and no check engine light. However, I've noticed that sometimes when I start the vehicle, the ABS light comes on with all of the other lights on the instrument panel, but when all of the other lights go off, the ABS light will sometimes stay illuminated? It doesn't blink, just stays lit up. The brakes and ABS seem to still be functioning normally when this happens? When the vehicle does this, the ABS light will stay lit until I shut off the vehicle. The next time I start up the vehicle, it will go out with all the other lights on the instrument panel? I have a code reader that can pull ABS codes and I'm getting a C2769. This code is supposedly referring to a Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Circuit Failure, which is part of the stability control/advance trac feature. My vehicle is not equipped with it. There is no badge for it on the back, no instrument cluster icon, or any buttons on the dash for it? I'm wondering why this vehicle would be throwing ABS codes for a feature that isn't even installed on the vehicle? Or if there are any fixes for it? It doesn't seem to be a major issue, more of an annoyance. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

kev2

wrench
are you using a remote starter - ? thinking not energizing the ABS module all times, but with OEM installed remote I see this less and less, but was a first thought..

Ideally I would check FORD for TSB;s etc BUT my link is AFU today...

grcauto

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with just under 68,000 original miles on it. The vehicle is really clean, no rust, and no check engine light. However, I've noticed that sometimes when I start the vehicle, the ABS light comes on with all of the other lights on the instrument panel, but when all of the other lights go off, the ABS light will sometimes stay illuminated? It doesn't blink, just stays lit up. The brakes and ABS seem to still be functioning normally when this happens? When the vehicle does this, the ABS light will stay lit until I shut off the vehicle. The next time I start up the vehicle, it will go out with all the other lights on the instrument panel? I have a code reader that can pull ABS codes and I'm getting a C2769. This code is supposedly referring to a Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Circuit Failure, which is part of the stability control/advance trac feature. My vehicle is not equipped with it. There is no badge for it on the back, no instrument cluster icon, or any buttons on the dash for it? I'm wondering why this vehicle would be throwing ABS codes for a feature that isn't even installed on the vehicle? Or if there are any fixes for it? It doesn't seem to be a major issue, more of an annoyance. Thank you in advance!
I assume 2004 is the correct year since you specify "just under 68,000 original miles on it. The vehicle is really clean, no rust,".
What tool did you use to retrieve the code? You may have a wheel speed sensor going bad or tone ring that needs cleaned up.
BTW the brake system should work just like a standard non abs braking system when there's a problem and the light is on.

jr31

I assume 2004 is the correct year since you specify "just under 68,000 original miles on it. The vehicle is really clean, no rust,".
What tool did you use to retrieve the code? You may have a wheel speed sensor going bad or tone ring that needs cleaned up.
BTW the brake system should work just like a standard non abs braking system when there's a problem and the light is on.
Yes, it's a 2004 xlt. The code reader is an Innova 3020d. I can clear the abs light and it will stay off for a couple of drive cycles, then one day, I start up the vehicle, and for some reason, it will stay on. Get the same code every time too. Funny thing is, it only stays on for a couple drive cycles and then it goes out by itself some day when I start up the vehicle? Strange. I just did a brake job on the front end. I cleaned the ABS sensors, nothing visibly wrong with them? There is one in the rear of the vehicle though. It's on top of the rear differential. I've learned that it's a part that goes bad often on ford vehicles. While searching for one(they're cheap so why not try to replace it, right?) I found out that there are two part numbers for that rear sensor. One is for vehicles equipped with traction control, and one is for vehicles without traction control. I ordered the one without traction control, since my vehicle is not equipped with it. The sensors look identical. If that sensor was changed out before I bought the vehicle, and they installed the wrong one, would that cause this abs light to intermittently come on?

I should reiterate that the abs light ONLY stays illuminated on and after startup. It does not come on while driving. Also, the abs system is still functioning normally when the light stays illuminated? When the abs light stays illuminated, doesn't that normally mean that the abs system is disabled?

Last edited:

jr31

are you using a remote starter - ? thinking not energizing the ABS module all times, but with OEM installed remote I see this less and less, but was a first thought..

Ideally I would check FORD for TSB;s etc BUT my link is AFU today...
No. There is no remote start on the vehicle.

My two guesses...
Your computer got updated incorrectly and sometimes a system test looks for something that is not there.
That sensor may be installed for Airbag System/SRS use and sometimes sets a code if the vehicle is rocking during startup. Replace the shocks.

grcauto

Yes, it's a 2004 xlt. The code reader is an Innova 3020d. I can clear the abs light and it will stay off for a couple of drive cycles, then one day, I start up the vehicle, and for some reason, it will stay on. Get the same code every time too. Funny thing is, it only stays on for a couple drive cycles and then it goes out by itself some day when I start up the vehicle? Strange. I just did a brake job on the front end. I cleaned the ABS sensors, nothing visibly wrong with them? There is one in the rear of the vehicle though. It's on top of the rear differential. I've learned that it's a part that goes bad often on ford vehicles. While searching for one(they're cheap so why not try to replace it, right?) I found out that there are two part numbers for that rear sensor. One is for vehicles equipped with traction control, and one is for vehicles without traction control. I ordered the one without traction control, since my vehicle is not equipped with it. The sensors look identical. If that sensor was changed out before I bought the vehicle, and they installed the wrong one, would that cause this abs light to intermittently come on?

I should reiterate that the abs light ONLY stays illuminated on and after startup. It does not come on while driving. Also, the abs system is still functioning normally when the light stays illuminated? When the abs light stays illuminated, doesn't that normally mean that the abs system is disabled?
Sorry, this post got lost in my mind......more likely I lost my mind in something else. I'm searching hard for it.....when I remember to look. :) I'm pretty sure you need to have it scanned with another tool. I don't believe that vehicle has the roll over module. If you can get it scanned it may give the correct code.

jr31

My two guesses...
Your computer got updated incorrectly and sometimes a system test looks for something that is not there.
That sensor may be installed for Airbag System/SRS use and sometimes sets a code if the vehicle is rocking during startup. Replace the shocks.
I wondered about the computer myself. If it had corrupted firmware installed on it at one point, or it was changed out with a computer from a vehicle that was equipped with stability control? It's not the shocks, this vehicle drives smoothly over bumpy roads.

jr31

Sorry, this post got lost in my mind......more likely I lost my mind in something else. I'm searching hard for it.....when I remember to look. :) I'm pretty sure you need to have it scanned with another tool. I don't believe that vehicle has the roll over module. If you can get it scanned it may give the correct code.
I appreciate you looking into it! I will look into getting it scanned with another tool. I don't have access to any Autozones or anything like that around here. Just a couple auto shops that will charge me $80.00 just to scan it, and probably hold my vehicle hostage for a couple days to get it done. That's why I bought my own scanner tool. I'm sure that is the right code though. During my own searches on the internet, there have been people with the same vehicle as mine that have had this code come up. But it's uncertain what the fix was.

grcauto

I appreciate you looking into it! I will look into getting it scanned with another tool. I don't have access to any Autozones or anything like that around here. Just a couple auto shops that will charge me $80.00 just to scan it, and probably hold my vehicle hostage for a couple days to get it done. That's why I bought my own scanner tool. I'm sure that is the right code though. During my own searches on the internet, there have been people with the same vehicle as mine that have had this code come up. But it's uncertain what the fix was.
Are we sure the roll over module is not a part of the system. If not, I would be looking for flash updates to the ABS module. Many times these ghost codes from modules that do not exist are from the programming of a compliment module which does.

jr31

Are we sure the roll over module is not a part of the system. If not, I would be looking for flash updates to the ABS module. Many times these ghost codes from modules that do not exist are from the programming of a compliment module which does.
Where would the roll over module be located on the vehicle? I was talking with a tech from the local ford dealership about this issue. He recommended replacing the abs module? After looking into what it would cost to replace it, I think that I wont be doing that. The abs system functions just fine with the phantom abs light on.

grcauto

Can I get the VIN? Yeah...we don't want to start replacing modules...especially that module....$$$$

grcauto

Got it...seems there's an rpo number I would need to verify it this build actually had the module installed but I did find that Advance Trac will clearly be labeled on the lift gate if it's installed. You say you don't have this. You can also look at the brake booster to see if there is a pressure sensor in it.
Check to see if you have this and if not I will see what we can do about the light.
Probably should have asked this....did you buy this new? If not, do you know if the ABS module has ever been replaced? We'll get it figured. I hope we can without having to pay to get it read by a different scanner.

Last edited:

jr31

Got it...seems there's an rpo number I would need to verify it this build actually had the module installed but I did find that Advance Trac will clearly be labeled on the lift gate if it's installed. You say you don't have this. You can also look at the brake booster to see if there is a pressure sensor in it.
Check to see if you have this and if not I will see what we can do about the light.
Probably should have asked this....did you buy this new? If not, do you know if the ABS module has ever been replaced? We'll get it figured. I hope we can without having to pay to get it read by a different scanner.
Nope. There is no badge on the lift gate for advance trac, or anything related to it on the dash or instrument cluster. Where would the pressure sensor be located on the brake booster? Would it be in the cab by brake pedal or in the engine bay? There is a sensor on the master cylinder, I think it's for cruise control shutoff? I bought the vehicle used. They left no history of any prior repairs.

Last edited: