Adding fog lights to Ford Escape

Website
www.billjohnson.info
2005 Ford Escape. 2.3 liter, 89,000 miles, I want to add fog lights, stock or similar aftermarket. Can I add them to the headlight circuit so that they come on with the headligbts, or would this pull too many amps. I would like to avoid running the extra circuit if possible.

My experience with the kind of fog we get at times in Wisconsin, fog lamps are next to worthless, and find vehicles that have them on with no fog to be darn annoying with all that extra glare.

With most vehicles using DRL's today, seems like that fast working circuit breaker is history, using fast blowing fuses now. Suppose you can put in a larger fuse.

Most are dealer installed, wanted around 350 bucks extra for my Cruze, but could get buy with a hundred if I did it myself getting a new headlamp switch. That brings up another problem with these darn things, mounted so low, subject to lens breakage with stone chips. Bad enough being taken to the cleaners to replace these way overpriced plastic headlamp lenses. Maybe I am getting old, don't need anymore problems.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
I live in Florida now. I want them more for the extra light. I thought this might be better than putting in some of those blinding headlight bulbs. Not good for Migraines when someone is coming at me with them I'll tell you. I lived in Wisconsin my first 48 years so I understand when you say fog lights just really cause glare. The driving I do with this vehicle very seldom encounters much fog. This is a 2005 so I'll be going the economy route, bone yard, ebay, etc.

I thought about taking them out of the wifes 2011 escape...think she would notice? :ROFL

We just came back from Florida, kind of weird swimming in an outdoor pool in February. Cheapest I could find on ebay was 70 bucks for a pair of fog lamps, hard to tell those from OE. But came with a toggle switch that I would not like to mount. Already mostly prewired, but would also have to lay out another 35 bucks for a new head lamp switch with that extra fog position.

Yours may be like that too, have to check on that. Didn't notice all those stones laying around like in Wisconsin, and not so many dual wheel pickups where the idiots that drive them can keep them on the road kicking up stones. What the heck, go for it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am already regretting saying this, but... other than the extra effort to add fog lamps, what's the difference from just putting in eyeball-burning headlamp bulbs? Either way, you are improving your vision at the expense of blinding on-coming traffic. As to the question of current: are there any lamps available that are LED or fluorescent? Those might not be so inexpensive, but still be more economical by eliminating need to change existing wiring.

If you care mostly about appearance, buy low powered lights that don't cost much, but look good and have low amperage requirements. Some people install lights strictly for appearance, and never wire them.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
No, they have to light up (cool factor), but what would you consider to be the low wattage range, and could I tap into the low beam side of the headlamp wiring so that they come on with the low beams only. I do not need them on high beam or the extra amp pull then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-7-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Daylight-Kit-Fog-Lamp-Day-Lights-Ford-00-10-/370777631401?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3AFord|Model%3AEscape&hash=item565411aaa9&vxp=mtr

May be what you are looking for, 30 bucks a pair with free shipping. Ebay has 94 listings, don't be afraid to contact the sellers for installation instructions so you know what you are getting and what you are in for.

Would only buy from US sellers, watch out for those Chinese sellers, can click on that US sellers list only. Just type in "2005 Ford Escape fog lamp kit" in the search.

I got confused between these rectangular and round ones. rockauto.com wants 35 bucks per round and another 25 bucks for each connector. I didn't search for a fog lamp switch, but would be my preference.

Is getting a ticket a risk for leaving them on all the time?

Website
www.billjohnson.info
I was thinking of having them come on with the low beam head lights. Off when the brights are on and off when the headlights are turned off. Can I safely tap into the low beam headlight circuit somewhere? If so, were is the best place to do it? In the fuse box, in the housing behind the headlights, someplace else?.

I would personally stay far away from the head lamps, could have liability issues. Could mount a flat rocker arm switch on the left lower dash panel, the kind that snap in, with a fuse. Or even get a manual to learn if your vehicle is prewired.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
OK, Nick. I understand your thinking. I do have the shop manuals and wiring schematics manual. There is a blank plug in the dash where the fog lamp switch would go. OEM switch is about $25. I tried to see if there were any wires running to where the fog lights would mount, but I think I'll need to pull one of the inner fenders off first to get a good look. Looks easy enough to do. I'm going to check my manual tonight to see if the circuit has a fuse in the fuse box.