Make
Ford
Model
Escape
Year
Miles
Engine
2.3 liter
There is air pressure blowing out of the oil filler when cap is removed and engine running. If cap is left off engine will stumble, when cap is put back on engine returns to normal idle. No oil bowing out. No noticeable engine problems driving. Oil is changed about every 2,500 miles (about 8 months, not driven many miles per year)

kev2

wrench
pressure in crank case is an indicator of blow by, RINGS starting to fail - depends on amt of blowby.

I would check PCV system first then compression test

I will seconds Kev's advice, but also add that some people are fooled by normal "puffy air" at oil fill hole with engine running. Hold a piece of paper or thin cardboard about 1/2 inch above hole to see if the paper is actually blown up or sucked down.

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Kev2 do you know where they put the PCV valve on these 2.3 liters. Between the intake and the block. The PCV valve snaps into the block and is then connected to a rubber hose on the other end to the intake. I have replaced that PCV hose twice already because it will collapse and/or tear, along with new PCV valve.
The Spark plugs, boots, valve cover, fuel rail, injectors, power steering pump, etc, etc have to be removed , and replacing all the gaskets. o-rings
Just venting, I am going to try the cardboard test and post back

grcauto

I agree with the others. I think it's a little more than just pcv. Compression test is in order.
Don't know where the video is.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, my $.02

First, hi billj from florida, hope you are having a good thanksgiving.

If from what I saw of that 13sec video, that engine is at a very fast idle. With compression blow by like that, I think this engine is toast. Not very wise words from me, but heck, that paper is flying. :eek:

Never tried this sort of test, but I suppose if you could try this... engine shut off, oil cap on, throttle closed, disconnect pipe or hose between valve cover and air filter (or breather duct) and blow (low pressure) air into pipe. That air should flow into engine, escape through PCV system to intake manifold, and come out at throttle body. I haven't researched the actual plumbing on that engine, so some aspect of my method might be inaccurate.
I invite anyone else to chime in with opinions about this test.

billr

wrench
Staff member
With engine off, connect a vacuum cleaner (like a shop vac) to the intake of the TB and see if the paper over the oil fill port now gets sucked in.