Make
Pontiac
Model
Torrent
Year
Miles
Engine
3.4L
Did the 100K plug change, changed wires too. So why not change the belt as well?

So...as it turns out, the belt GOES AROUND THE ENGINE MOUNT AND YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE ENGINE MOUNT TO CHANGE THE SERPENTINE BELT?

There have been times when I've really wanted to meet the engineer who designed certain things, but I'd REALLY like to ask him or her what they were thinking when they designed this.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips to replace the belt on an 08 Pontiac Torrent?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Anyway, has anyone got any tips to replace the belt on an 08 Pontiac Torrent?
Nope, no magic trick here, need to jack or support engine and remove the belt. In case you don't have a belt routing sticker. Here is how it goes.
Screenshot (295).png

My favorite shortcut of removing mount bolts and slipping belt through the gap won't work on your Torrent, apparently.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Maybe I do have one tip. If you don't have a special serpentine belt removal kit, you can go through the wheel well by removing the tire. A 3/8 breaker bar works best from there. A ratchet on a belt tensioner is awkward.

JP

Looks like I can jack the engine from the bottom without worrying about damaging the oil pan, that was my main concern. The rest doesn't look too hard. AllData shows the crazy-complicated GM engine-raising device and I didn't know if I could jack the engine from the bottom.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

PC

Buddy once had a I/O in a boat with the same belt arrangement that went around the front engine mount. We were thinking of wire tying a spare belt to the engine mount somehow, so when in the middle of nowhere the drive belt lets go, could easily pop on the spare. Gone are the days when there were 2 or 3 belts driving the water pump, 1 or 2 could let go and keep driving long as the water pump was turning. Now they give us a single point of failure.