Audi Door Handle Sensor Intermittent Failure

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by Todd Patrick, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Todd Patrick

Todd Patrick Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Audi
    MODEL:A6 Quatro, Prestige
    YEAR:2012
    MILES:45312
    ENGINE:3.0-liter V-6
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Sensors in door exterior handles frequently fail to detect grasp of hand. Do I replace all four door handle sensors?

TSB Number:
    57-13-89
    NHTSA Number:
    TSB Date:
    May 14, 2013
    Date Added to File:
    July 16, 2013
    Failing Component:
    Latches/Locks/Linkages
    Service Bulletin Number: 362897
    Summary Audi: some vehicles, in cold weather, occasionally, cannot be unlocked using the door handle touch sensor. Also inclded are model a4 my 2014, model a5 cabriolet my 2014, model q5 my 2014, model rs5 cabriolet my 2014, and model s5 cabriolet

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I don't know what idiot told you to replace all four door handles. That would be a very costly repair for absolutely nothing.

Here is a REAL tsb for your situation, read it and see if this applies to you.

Maybe you just need to comprehend more on how the advanced key system works.

So audi has never issued a stupid fix such as replacing all 4 door handles and never will do so as any other company will also never do so.

See ace 4 pdf for tsb regarding door handles.

So, maybe, try to turn off all cell phones, blue tooth gadgets, wifi gadgets, tablets in wife's purse, laptops in kids back pack before going to school etc etc, for awhile when you attempt to access or lock the car or just plain want to get in the car.

That will almost for sure eliminate any door handle sensors or vehicle defect.

And also just validate that audi is in no way responsible for this, except just making a useless device such a door sensing handles.

If not. I for sure cannot help you any further, until you state that no other frequency hungry devices and you are still experiencing this strange phenomenon.

Attached Files:

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    High frequency emitters can do funny things. On a funny note, ever seen crazy stuff in movies that you say that can only happen in movies.

Ever heard that some how another guys remote control for the garage door opener will unlock you car doors as a neighbor, well yes it happens.

There are even theft devices that ppl use that they drive around, emit many high frequencies, and the just wait for a car to flash or a garage door to open, they just found the code to your car or even worse, entry to your house.

Do some research. You will see this is way more common than you think, and in no way any company will say they are responsible for that. It's actually the easiest trick for thieves since sliced bread.

It's just too many ppl walking around with a bunch of high frequencies emitting devices right next to what ever.

Life was simpler when everything was analogue. Alot less kids would not be running around with mental retardation because they no longer know how to skate, fish or hunt or cry when you actually ask them to count to 10 in their head.

Ok, that was MY rant of the day. Get your kids out there and actually ask them to do something constructive. You will be amazed at all the blank stares you will get.;):D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  5. Todd Patrick

Todd Patrick Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I isolated the car from all radio frequency devices and unfortunately that did not restore functionality. But I did notice one item in the TSB that is interesting:

6. If the vehicle battery is discharged, the energy management system gradually deactivates unnecessary convenience functions. It is possible that you
    will temporarily not be able to unlock your vehicle using Advance key.

There is an rare on-screen warning that the battery level is low. This happened at times when the battery should not be low at all, such as after driving 25 mins on the freeway. The dealer tested the battery and said it was fine, but the warning popped up again a few weeks later. Photo for screen message attached. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Of course that could be a false computer generated warning ( but I would believe it). You may have discovered a possible cause.

Check alternator output .

And if that is the original 4-5 year old battery, it would be very suspect also, even though tested OK.

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I just want to know in heavens is the idiot that came with you have to replace all 4 door handles?