Make
audi
Model
A4
Year
Miles
Engine
2.0l
I got this car in my bay the other day. 14 codes in scanner, Multiple misfires, lean codes etc.

When I went to check oil level, found that you need a dealer dip stick, which I kind of knew cuz oil level can be checked via dashboard, but when I pull the top of the dipstick tube, it almost sucked in my index. I put my vac gauge to it, it was pulling 18hg.

Oil level was good, surprisingly, so I decided to pull some spark plugs. Again, surprisingly, all good and clean.

This is what I found.

IMG_20180411_153840.jpg IMG_20180411_160035.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
When I called audi for this crankcase pressure regulation valve, they said they had a few in stock. I said really, a few. Yup he said, we seem to be selling alot of those lately. So this is the reason I am posting this here in the import forum.

If ever you fall on a bunch of codes like this, pull top off dipstick, check vac. Should pull no more than 3-4hg @idle. 18 is huge. Second, check for whistsling noise at rear of crankcase pressure regulating valve. You may hear some noise there indicating this is where the major vac leak is coming from. If you can`t hear it, remove it anyway, I am sure you will see a small tear. Maybe not a huge one like this car had. I am amazed client didn`t complain more. All she said was that her check engine light had been on for weeks or months now. She said it idled funny. I don`t call that idling funny, it could barely keep alive.

Apparently some other shops had looked at this car. I am surprised this vac leak went unnoticed. Bizarre.

Last edited:
Some Volvo engines have a similar problem. First time I heard that sound, I thought it was a bad alternator....until I removed the oil fill cap.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Thx Dan, will keep that in mind next time I see a Volvo in with similar codes.

What fooled me for a few minutes, where the cam/crank correlation code, the reduced oil pressure switch code and the fuel pressure sensor code.

I knew I was dealing with a vacuum leak when I saw high idle, lean codes and misfire on all cylinders, but had no idea why those three other codes got in there, until I saw where the vac leak was coming from. Then it all made sense.

What fooled me a bit was the huge amount of TSB's relating to misfires and lean codes and fuel pressure codes. So I chased my tail for a few minutes, but could not disregard that whistling noise.

So I am guessing volvo and audi and their europe partners are getting those diaphragms made by same company. Amazed there isn't a TSB on that one yet. I bet there will be one soon as they are starting to fail, as mentioned by the parts guy at audi.

The more guy's like in the video, you and me fall onto this problem, it will get into a data base shortly. I too Dan would have looked hard at that alternator, sure sounded like a growling alt in that video. Sweet info.