Auterra Palm Based OBD2 Scanner

Discussion in 'Automotive Products' started by admin, Jul 18, 2016.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

"A Palm based OBDII Scanner" that
    WORKS!!
    Review Performed By:
    Bruce Bonebrake
    Managing Editor at BAT AUTO
    "I have to tell you that when David Lafreniere, from auterra,contacted us at batauto , about a "website link exchange", I just had to see what this product was about!! I went to the Auterra website, and WOW!! Was this for real? I HAD to see this for myself. I asked David if he would be interested in letting us perform a product review, and then post the review for everyone to see. He agreed, and here we ARE!!
    I have had the TRUE PLEASURE of working with this scanner system several times. With the Auterra Palm scanner system, I haven't even wanted to use one of my "expensive" scanner(s), I use the auterra system. I have alot of information to share with you, so let's get started."
    The Auterra OBD II Interface Adapter connects a Palm handheld (formerly called a Palm Pilot) to all 1996 and newer vehicles, including Domestic, Asian, and European. The OBD II software and user manual is included on the Macintosh and PC compatible CD-ROM.
    [​IMG]
    (OBD II Interface)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are SEVERAL Palms that are supported to use with the Auterra OBD II system. There are also other brands ofPalm OS handhelds that are supported. For information on which models can be usedcheck here.
    I decided on a Palm m105 . The price was under $150.00, and I liked the 8MG of memory. The Auterra package does NOT include the Palm handheld. This gives you the option of deciding on which model will best fit your needs, AND, if you already own a Palm handheld, all you need is the correct cable, and you are ready to go!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THE Auterra OBD II HARDWARE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THE Auterra OBD II
    SOFTWARE:
    (I am using a Palm m105 so this is the cable that is required)
    REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:

[​IMG]
    GETTING STARTED Installing the software:
    [​IMG]
    I KNOW what you might be thinking..."Why do I need a OBD II scanner anyway?" Simple! If you have a 1996 or newer vehicle, and the "Check Engine" light is staying on, it will require an OBD II scanner to turn the light off, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, determine what "system" is at fault that caused the Check Engine light to illuminate in the first place!!
    (BEFORE..Check Engine light on)
    (AFTER..Check Engine light off)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're ready to attach the system to the vehicle. I am testing a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am with a 2.4L Quad 4, that has the Check Engine light staying on. The customer wasn't experiencing any performance issues, just "the ANNOYING AMBER light always stays ON!!!"
    The vehicles OBD II connector is located under the driver's side of the dash.
    Assembling the unit will take only a couple of minutes at the most. First, attach the cable to the Palm m105 that I am using for the review.
    [​IMG]
    Next, attach the cable to the Auterra OBD II adapter.
    The other end of the Auterra OBD II adapter will connect to the vehicles OBD II connector.
    [​IMG]
    With the unit assembled, we are now ready to attach the scanner to the vehicles OBD II connector.
    With the scanner connected, we can now choose the scanner Icon from the list of available Palm programs.

2. admin

[​IMG]

The Auterra software adds the "SCAN TOOL" Icon on the Palm's menu screen. To select the Scan Tool function, is as simple as touching the Icon with the Palm's Stylus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Auterra startup screen. The pictures are self-explanatory, and YES, these are actual pictures of the scanner in action and connected to our test vehicle.

I LOVE this screen.. once connected, right off the bat, you are looking at the Vehicle Monitor Status!! By touching the "OBDII General Info" tab, you will get a "drop down menu" with operating choices to choose from.

I selected the "Trouble Codes" screen from the Auterra system's drop down menu list.

The Trouble Code screen display's, in two column's, the list of Trouble code(s), and depending on which column the Code(s) are listed in, you will know whether the Code(s) are "Stored" (history) code(s), or "Pending" (current) code(s)... NOW, are you ready for this? Look closely and you will see WHICH CODE CAUSED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO ILLUMINATE!! That is AMAZING!! On the test vehicle, we only had ONE Trouble Code, BUT, I have used this scanner at least a dozen times on different applications, and on some vehicles I have tested with this system, there were multiple DTC's, and the Auterra system DID identify which code turned the Check Engine light ON!! Very nice!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another NEAT feature!!! Click on any Trouble Code in the column(s) and you will receive the CODE DESCRIPTION!!! This is VERY HANDY!!

Ok, so we know what the Trouble Code was that caused the Check Engine light to illuminate. Next to clear the Trouble Code(s) is as simple as selecting the "Yes" answer to the Clear Trouble Code question.

And here we are!! No Trouble Codes are in the PCM (On Board Computer), and immediately, the Check Engine light turned off!!
    Ok, are we done? H-A-R-D-L-Y!! (grin)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

QUESTION.. Do you likeGRAPH'S? (grin)... YES, that's right.. the Auterra system also shows WHATEVER sensor, or system you want to monitor, inGRAPH form!! You simply touch the "Edit" button and select a sensor or system you want to display on the Graph!!
    Amazing!! This is yet ANOTHER feature that the Auterra system has!!

3. admin

Take a look at the O2 sensor graph's.. The front sensor (Sensor 1) NEVER rises above .500Volts!!
    Sensor #2 is the rear O2 sensor. The rear sensor is monitoring the Catalytic Converter "storage capability". I would have liked to have seen the rear O2 sensor reading be a lower voltage, but, the Catalytic Converter is working. This car has a BAD front O2 sensor. I cannot force the O2 reading to go higher. Great!! A quick call to the customer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the OBDII List is selected from the drop down menu there are 5 GRAPHS displayed at the same time, AND you EDIT/CHOOSE what you want the GRAPH'S to display!! I REALLY LIKED this feature also!!! I truly enjoyed working with this scanner system, and I think you can see why!!

(BTW, look at the Bank 1 O2 sensor reading now..Finally fluctuating above and below .450V..this picture was taken after the O2 sensor was replaced. The replacement O2 sensor seemed to improve the idle quality also)

How about a Meter? Or should I say 2 METER'S? AND you EDIT/CHOOSE what you want the Meter's to DISPLAY!! The options that this package can perform is truly amazing!!

[​IMG]

I wanted to show you that the Palm's cable is plenty long enough to reach outside the vehicle,and can easily be used in the engine compartment. The Palm is a perfect size unit to use. The display of the m105 is about the same size as the EXPENSIVE scanners that are out there..AND, the display is "backlighted" when you select the backlight function. The stylus has a good feel to it, and touch function can be "re-calibrated" if needed.
    I calibrated my Palm's touch feature, and the touch operation was very accurate!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, you have seen the scan tool in action. It works VERY WELL and is loaded with features!! But, there is even MORE!! The Auterra system even has a DTC Search!! YES, there is a SECOND icon on the Palm menu screen that is used for looking up the DTC's!! You have your OWN DTC library in the "palm of your hand"!!
    As shown in the picture to the left, the "DTC Search" icon launches the program. This program is independant of the scanner operation, so the vehicle cable DOES NOT have to be connected!! You could be sitting on your sofa, and browse through the DTC's!!

The screen shots below show the some of the different DTC's that can be displayed. By touching the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows by the digit(s), you can choose the DTC number you want displayed. What is shown are the "Generic" DTC's and also the description of the displayed code number.

[​IMG]

You can also select the "Manufactures Specific" DTC's by selecting the manufacture from the drop down list!! When setting up the scanner software, you can choose which manufactures you want on the Palm. I selected all of them as the memory (storage space) of the Palm m105,was not a problem. If you only work on certain makes, you can choose only those makes if you like. A couple of examples of the GM manufacture specific codes are shown below.

[​IMG]

I think I have made it clear in this article that I LIKE the Auterra OBD II scanner package!! I want to rate the overall system.

AUTERRA OBD II SCANNER FOR Palm's and other handheld's using the Palm Operating System
    Review by Bruce Bonebrake

Product Overall Design..............................SIMPLE AND EXCELLENT!!
    Product Function Ability...............EVEN BETTER THAN ADVERTISED!!
    Product Usefulness.....A "Must Have" when working on OBDII vehicles!!!!
    Product Price.......Around $250.00!!! ( as noted, the Palm is not included)
    Product Software Upgrades......FREE DOWNLOADS at the Auterra site!!
    Product Support..............EXCELLENT!! A direct support email address!!
    Product Sales...........Can be purchased "on-line" using a Secure server!!
    Product Lacking Abilities......NONE!! EXCELLENT for performing OBD II
    diagnosis!!

Final Remarks:
    "This is an extraordinary tool!! I really enjoyed working with it, and it helped diagnosis every vehicle I connected the system to. I asked Dave about the possibility of downloading the information that the system reviewed, while connected to the vehicle, onto the PC or laptop that the Palm "sync's" with, and this is a future possibility. I was also curious if the "color display equipped" Palm's that are available, would show any of the Auterra program in color, and that is also a future possibility. EXCELLENT!! I know that some of you may want a "print-out" to hand to the customer, and by looking at the screen shots I have displayed in this article, all I can say is, that would be as easy as taking some pictures of the scanner screen's with your digital camera. Even if you don't have a Palm handheld, or a digital camera, you could buy the Palm of your choice, a GOOD digital camera, and the Auterra system, for LESS MONEY than the cost of some of the "upgrades" for the EXPENSIVE scanner you have now!!! Also, you may say that the Auterra scanner is ONLY OBD II, so what about the "pre-OBD II" vehicles? Well, if you don't already have one, a '95 and earlier used scanner, can be found at VERY REASONABLE prices!! Why? Because they are expensive to keep up-graded (current), and, with the Auterra system, and the FREE upgrades, that will no longer be a problem..so save your old scanner for the "pre-OBD II" vehicles, and purchase the Auterra system and a Palm handheld. I think you will be glad you did!! (grin)"
    Bruce Bonebrake

[​IMG]

Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.. we really appreciate your valuable feedback. You can Contact Us

For more information about the Auterra system, please go to:
    www.auterraweb.com

For more information about the Palm handheld product's, please go to:
    www.palm.com

4. admin

Copyright: batauto.com 2002

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am using my IBM 570 ThinkPad with Window's ME installed. This will be the "host" computer for the Palm m105 to HotSync to. The software is a single CD.

Loading the software was a snap!! Once the software was installed on my laptop, I HotSync'd the Palm m105 and the scan tool application was transferred to the Palm m105. This would be the procedure for installing any options to your Palm handheld. Also, future upgrades will be installed on the Palm this same way. Download the upgrade from Auterra's site, and then HotSync the Palm to your "host" computer. It is as simple as that!! Also, the Auterra CD contains a "read me help" file that is a PDF file viewed by Adobe Acrobat Reader. AND, if you don't have the Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your pc, don't worry, it is INCLUDED on the Auterra CD!!