barely runs when cold

gfbidd

Resealed egr rube at both ends, doesn’t idle up when sprayed with brake clean anymore, still has p0171 and P0174, but these are the only codes now.ETC and IAT are within 10 degrees when cold. Going to park outside again to check for cold operation

gfbidd

I kind of asked that, still waiting on a response.
IAT and ECT within 20 degrees of each other, located and sealed vac leak at EGR tube. No more vac leak.No more missing Still getting constant p0171 and p0174-bank 1&2 lean. Also new fuel filter

billr

wrench
Staff member
20F, or even 10F, is pretty far apart. I would expect no more than 5F, and usually see 1-2F on my cars. Does either of those agree with a thermometer left laying on the engine???

billr

wrench
Staff member
EAT??? Do you mean ECT? Please, try to avoid typos; they confuse me and make me question all else that is posted.

So... ECT and IAT agree by 3F (normal), or is it 10F, or maybe 20F. Which is it? Are you checking these in a similar manner each time, after a similarly long sit, in a garage out of the Sun and wind? If the "test conditions" are similar and the temp difference varies so much, then that is a big hint that at least one of those sensors is flaky. If the test conditions are not similar, than the readings are meaningless and we are back to guessing.

What does that 17F "outside temp" mean? Is that a gauge hanging on a wall someplace? If you aren't putting a thermometer nestled right down in the engine area that reading, too, is meaningless.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't care if it starts/runs fine after sitting indoors, I want to see if the temps correlate. That can't be done reliably outside.

grcauto

Resealed egr rube at both ends, doesn’t idle up when sprayed with brake clean anymore, still has p0171 and P0174, but these are the only codes now.ETC and IAT are within 10 degrees when cold. Going to park outside again to check for cold operation
Is the ECT
EAT 42 f. IAT 39 f. My outside temp is 17 f
You need to let this set out over night and check the temps of ECT and IAT and the temp of the ambient air. Early morning before sun starts hitting the the vehicle. I'll bet the ECT is off from the ambient by quite a bit. Need to see what the IAT is doing as well.

gfbidd

Is the ECT

You need to let this set out over night and check the temps of ECT and IAT and the temp of the ambient air. Early morning before sun starts hitting the the vehicle. I'll bet the ECT is off from the ambient by quite a bit. Need to see what the IAT is doing as well.
these readings are from an outside overnite soak, ECT not EAT

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am going to try to surmise my advice. If my understanding of english is still good, surmising is amazingly a major part of my day job.

Actually, the part I HATE THE MOST. As a tech, I don't deal well with uncertain events. But as a tech, I also have to deal with personal constraints. Such as "can this client pay for what is actually wrong?"

I have been offered the front desk job and have refuse vehemently every time. I will change shop before I have to deal with all the looneys out there.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Living with a crystal ball is not easy,

I often wonder why I am not more on the black market. At the 6minute mark of the following video, I understood why alot of ppl look at me like I am some sort of voodoo guy.