blower switch problem

lava

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:hyundai
MODEL:accent
YEAR:2009
MILES:265
ENGINE:1.6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....blower switch works on low but must hold switch in when going higher

Sounds like you are describing a problem with the switch. If the switch is the kind that twists, and it seems to be "wiggly", try to remove the knob to see if you can tighten a loose nut around the shaft.

lava

Sounds like you are describing a problem with the switch. If the switch is the kind that twists, and it seems to be "wiggly", try to remove the knob to see if you can tighten a loose nut around the shaft.
thank you I will try that

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am late for reply, hope the issue is resolved. In case it is not, I can't 100% remember if this switch is a screw shaft. I don't think so. But wouldn't put my hand in the fire on that one to say 100%

From what my memory recalls, is that when I had to call Hyundai for a HVAC control assembly part description, the knob was available, but nothing else. It was a complete assembly only, and back order too boot.

I did open the assembly, could not find any serviceable parts, but what looked like a detachable switch and shimming the thing with glue was going to be a no warranty repair and not justifiable in labour for client. I just ended up finding one in a salvage yard depot.

However, I do have a few questions first, since I don't know if I am reading this thread right. I would first like to know if this is a manual or auto climate control.

The auto climate control is a push button switch. However, if this is a manual control, which I think I am reading here, read further below.

I have just spent 15mins, again looking on the net, I still can't find a switch, only the knob.

However, if your on a tight budget, or the assembly is back order like when I called, you could splice the wiring and buy a 4 speed switch. It is only a 5 wire deal, the "acme" switch can be mounted anywhere, That way, you are sure you won't be on the side of the road wiping the inside of your car down every second to go another five feet. Cuz when that switch will decide to go, and will most certainly will, it is too late then.

Dorman company makes a good solid 4 speed switch with plug and all. I have installed literally hundreds in Eseries ford vans. For some reason, they just melt no matter what you do. My work around was always to install this dorman switch. They are the only things that last in my area climate. Freightliner also has a very similar switch that is indestructible, but the dorman switch is more readily available at most part stores like auto zone, o-rilys, napa etc.

So, again, if this issue is not resolved, and, again, I am sorry for late response, try my trick out to not be stranded on the side of the road for foggy windows and hazardous driving, oh, and no heat at -40c.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I had time to waste today, still -33c, I was able to find a picture of the switch I am talking about. They are very robust compared to the cheap plastic OEM design. If NickD was still around, he would have fun with this thread. ;) Hoping he is still alive and well.

Screenshot (144).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
However, if the backside of your control assembly looks like this, this thread is going to take on a whole other turn. And a bit more modification needed, being this type is a mosfet design controller instead of solid state. At that stage, I can still walk you through how to circumvent the fan speed, but I don't think you will want to invest that much time and effort just for a accent car.

For others who fall on this thread. Hope this helps you also.

Screenshot (146).png

Last edited: