blower wont blow air on windshield on defrost

andrew

I have a 2006 Pontiac GranPrix with 21,000 miles. The blower/fan won't blow air onto the windshield when on defrost. Doesn't work on AUTO nor n MANUAL. The fan works fine and blows air when the selector is on the other selections but not on the "defrost" selection. Nothing is stuck in the vents, the car is perfectly clean inside.
Any ideas? It worked yesterday but not today. ??? ???

Check all the fuses..The air door actuator motor might not be working....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gus

wrench
The actuator motor has to be working, because he says it works when on other selections(vent, heater?)

Has to be a code set in the module....

One thing to check is if the mode valve is binding or has an obstruction, this involves removing the electrical actuator and manually moving the mode valve....

andrew

Is this something I can do? Is the mode valve easy to access and remove?

andrew

I bought this vehicle used and purchased a $200 deductible warranty package. I was trying to see if this is something I can repair myself for less than $200.

Thought the new car warranty was transferable, worth a check. 36 months or 36,000 miles, full bumper to bumper.

andrew

I elected to buy an different coverage beyond the bumper to bumper warranty. Anyways, Does anyone know deatiled instruvctions on how to access these little servos and how to pull the dash apart? ???

brcidd

By all means see your dealer- you are still under warranty- they have the scan tool that can determine what if any HVAC codes are set. If a door is malfunctioning- that is a dash pull- so let them do it for nothing. It may be as simple as reprogramming the ATC--

If you want to try something try this:

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)
Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Connect all previously disconnected components.
Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
Start the vehicle.
Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

All you have to do is to call a Pontiac dealer, give him your VIN, and he will know exactly when your vehicle was sold, plus you have to give him the odometer mileage, and he will check it, if you go in.

You don't know what you are getting into, apparently, by asking how to gain access, dash is plastic that was snapped in, not very easy to unsnap it with breaking something, you will see a maze of wires, and an air bag that may blow your head off, and you won't even know what to look for, plus you risk doing lot's of damage.

Regarding your extended maintenance plan, one of the biggest rackets in the auto industry. Typically, the guy that talked you into it put half of your premium in his back pocket and you have to find a shop that will honor it, with that 200 buck deductible, they are making you think twice before even taking it in, and if someone does, will have to fight to gain any benefits. Did you read the fine print regarding exclusions?

Gus

wrench
An AllData subscription, via this site, is much cheaper.....if you want to do it yourself....