C1500 sleeve over aluminun drive shaft

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by BarryL, Feb 27, 2017.

1. BarryL

BarryL Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
    MODEL:C1500
    YEAR:1989
    MILES:210 k
    ENGINE:350 TBI
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....sleeve over alum drive shaft, shifted aft and is splitting and cracking, where it is catching on the balance wt . Should I do anything about sleeve? There is a slight vibration or shudder between 47 and 50 mph. Truck has had trans mission rebuilt and tires and rims. Vibration still there.
    Thanks
    Barry

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

What is the sleeve made of, metal or plastic or rubber? Where was it originally located? Posting pictures may be useful. I just peeked at a somewhat similar GM aluminum driveshaft; no sleeve apparent on it.

If this thing is rubber, I'm thinking it is a dampener for that particular shaft application and you will have to put up with some vibration unless it is properly replaced and at its original location.

3. BarryL

BarryL Newbie

Sorry for the delay. The sleeve looks like Kevlar or fiberglass. It is not rubber or plastic and is about 1/16 inch thick. It was centered fore and aft covering about 90% of the length of the drive shaft. Std cab long bed TH700R4, 10 bolt 8 1/2 inch ring gear.

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

covering was a short lived GM idea to protect/strenghten the aluminum shafts.
    It will fail as it deteriorates with age, may cause a vibration as it comes off as well as the sound of pieces hitting body.
    Remove or wait for it to 'leave' your call.
    No urgent need to address - might want to look for drive shaft shop near you to advise on availability of replacement.

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

In the realm of "do the easy stuff"...if the sleeve moves somewhat freely, slide it back and forth and rotate to let any junk fall out. Then move to center and fasten with duct tape at both ends. Test drive for vibration.

6. BarryL

BarryL Newbie

Thanks for the reply Dan. The sleeve is very tight and secure. I tried to move it back to it's original position when I was replacing the U joints, but it won't budge. I can't see that it is causing any problem. I don't know that the vibration is from the drive line.

Kev2 I assumed it was for the reasons you mentioned. I will keep an eye on it, since it is not causing any problem it will stay.
    Thanks
    Barry