Caliber Cam sensor, which is which

CP

Working on an 07 Caliber 2.0 DOHC. Going to replace the cam sensor for bank 1 sensor 2, but which is which? I see a vvt solenoid on the front and back of the head on the right side(passenger) and a cam sensor front and back of the head on the left side of the engine. Looking on alldata connector view, it shows cam sensor 1/1 on the left rear and cam sensor 1/2 on the right rear?? Then on connector view for the vvt solenoid they show on the front of the engine solenoid camshaft 1/1 position right front and solenoid variable valve timing exhaust on the front left (drivers) of the head. I'm confused. I need to find bank 1 sensor 2 cam sensor... Thanks

CP

Sorry that is the vvt solenoid and not the cam sensor that that arrow is pointing to.

CP

It's labeled that way in the picture but it's not that way in the car

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will try to be clearer with a different view of engine and more cute drawings.

The area circled in different colors are your VVT system solenoids. The on I showwed in the rear of the head is your camsensor b1s2 and it has a three pin connector, the solenoids have two pin connectors. Got that, or will you need a better picture. Maybe you don`t have the proper engine. Red and yellow are your cam solenoids, brwon is your VVT solenoid. These have two pin connectors.

My first snapshot is the correct one as persay alldata.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here is a pdf of wiring in color. If you are unsure of what I have posted as we do not banter all night, just veryfy three wire harness and compare colors of wires. Here is a PDF format ace attachment.

Attachments

CP

Thanks for your help trying to help me. We'll get thru it. On the earlier picture you sent and had that circled in red, that is called a "sensor camshaft 1/2 position". Then on the other picture you sent circled in red, it is called a"solenoid camshaft 1/2 position". I have a two wire connector there and a solenoid! On the front of the head is another solenoid with a two wire connector. Moving toward the transmission end of the engine I have a three wire 'sensor' in front and back of the head. Two sensors just like all data shows as sensor 1/1 and 1/2 for cam sensors. The vin is 7 for the 10th and B for the 8th. Thanks again

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Has the location of the 2nd cam sensor been resolved yet? I did more research elsewhere, and they all state it is where I showed you. Can't remember the wire colors of that particular connector, just refer to the wiring I provided.

Hope you got her done!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Going to replace the cam sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
You.
You again
On the earlier picture you sent and had that circled in red, that is called a "sensor camshaft 1/2 position".

That is the one you want.

In reply #4 the one circled in red is the connector leading to the sensor you want, just from a different view without seeing the actual sensor, but believe me, it is rear of head, belt side and exhaust should be staring you in the face. If you are on intake side, wrong cam sensor friend. ;)

I posted a removal procedure of the cam sensor, maybe the heat shield is preventing you from seeing it. You must remove that first/pull it aside to even see the sensor. Watch for bleeding knuckles here. Here is a pdf of removal. ACE 0. Look attentively at the black outlines in the pics. They differ from the fist to second.

May I be humble enough to ask if there is a code here, or any reason that led you to believe it was this particular sensor? If, maybe I can provide you with a proper flowchart, so you don't overlook something as anodyne as a open or short.

Attachments

CP

Thanks again for your efforts. Can to my shop with codes p0315,p0336,p0369,p0365,and p0335 set. Car had been doing some intermittent poor running. Cleared codes and a short time later codes p0336 and p0369 came back. Looked things over and things looked good on a visual inspection, so cleared what codes were there and drove 3 or 4 times and 45 plus miles and no codes came. Customer picked up and the next morning the light came on for them after starting. P0365 was back. Now I have tried it a couple days and no CEL and runs fine. So... a cam sensor is where I was going to start. One thing I question is if this code for the cam sensor could be setting because of cranking slow? And if the sensor is getting a little weak... It's been at zero or below sometimes when it has to start. Also I did find the sensor by wire color and the R and R for replacing the sensor is helpful. Yes the exhaust shield has to be removed to get the sensor out. The thing is, it's in the back of the head on the drivers side of the exhaust manifold and not by the belt ( about 2 feet away) So if they want us to rewrite the books we can help them in there location drawings. It's in the shop now warming up for sensor surgery tomorrow. Been a few too many of these intermittent problems lately. Hard to find if they don't just "show" themselves. Thanks again

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, wrapping my head around this cuz math test is gonna keep me up all night anyways.

p0315,p0336,p0369,p0365,and p0335 set.

1st= P0315 No crank sensor learned
2nd= P0336 Crankshaft position sensor performance
3rd= P0369 camshaft position sensor intermittent B1 S2
4th= P0335 crankshaft position circuit
5th= (redundant code) P0365 camshaft position circuit B1 S2

Now maybe my friends here can back me up, but seems you have a bad ground.

Have you tried wiggle testing this harness. Stop clearing codes, we NEED freeze frame data.

I think that even if you swap the cam B1S2, this is gonna come back and bite.

Do you know how to pin test from sensor to pcm? I will post pcm/ecm pin charts if need be. But if your gonna throw parts at this all day when the car is screaming at you to check further, we can no longer go forward, unless you are willing to commit to a thorough test of the integrity of the primary ignition wiring.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Most of what you are looking at right now is in the schematic I posted. Some share common feed, most share same pcm ground. Check wiring before you commit to a new/refurbished unit/pcm.

Many a short or open cost thousands of dollars of many guys who posted here. I will walk you through it wire by wire, cuz that is how you need to do it. Guys here will attest to my assuidity when it comes to complex yet simple stuff like this. Stop chasing ghosts. Especially on a customers dime!!! ;)

So here is a flow chart for redundant code P0365. Print ACE pdf and follow through! 8) If with ace 0 you don't find the fault, recheck, and recheck, cuz no amount of dollars you throw at this will amount to simple by the book basic electrical teasing. Patience is the name of the game.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Who is supplying feed to crank and cam B1S1 through to cam B1S2? The pink and yellow wire 5 volt supply. Look for a intermittent break there. Feed for B1 S1 cam splices into orange for B1 S2, same feed from pcm!!!!!!! Splice is # S102.

This is where I think you are getting all these gremlins.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Crank and cam B1S1/ B1S2 are isolated by the pcm, (this much is clear by the snap shot I will post again with my best doodling ever ???) so do not to go looking for fuses and sh$t. Concentrate on a loose pin, connection, rub to ground. Also, I think that heat shield may be a good cause for this. Make sure harness is well away from that and secured with tie wraps or similar.

Attachments