Caliber Cam sensor, which is which

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Confirm 5v supply and wiggle test, if all ok, test ground return to pcm, wiggle test and tighten all grounds point/choke points. If all ok, suspect faulty pcm, but DON"T JUMP THERE YET.

5V supply are the illiterate blue circles :D

Don't forget to ohm test EACH WIRE YOU TOUCH!! From sensors to pcm pins ;)

All is here for you to make a successful diagnosis and not see this client back unless for a brake job or better service. Customer service is #1. Don"t hold back because you feel dizzy. Regroup and come back strong, you will have a customer for life cuz you did it right the first time.

billr

wrench
Staff member
"One thing I question is if this code for the cam sensor could be setting because of cranking slow?"

I can't say for sure, of course, but that seems unlikely to me. From the schematics posted, it looks like both the CKP and CMP sensors are Hall-effect types, and a properly designed system with Hall-effect sensing should work fine at even zero speed.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Thank you bill for helping. Yes, in a hall effect tri system like this, many avenues for amp draw and codes such as the op is experiencing. But in a situation like this, the car will keep running but the algorithm of the pcm will keep it in limp in mode by design. Hence the loop design of the hall effects. Good call on that one Bill.

In a case like this, need to zero amp the wires associated and also check to ground. I assume you know this but am assuming the op maybe needs more experience with a DVM. If all was open, no go. So assuming a pcm power transistor intermittent short or resistive wire at points shown in awkward drawings.

At that point a scope is very useful. But assuming op does not have one or his employer has not provided one and showed him how it works.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Wondering if this Caliber is fixed? Did the op find the cam sensor at rear of head? I really went all out to specify. Sucks to see an interesting thread like this go to waste. Hoping the info will help others on these VVT's.:confused:

I hate to bring back a dead post but I am having trouble finding the same sensor. I found the one near the intake.