Cat problem?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The problem may reside in between the o2 connector and ECM. So do in a circuit check from ECM/ECU would help.

So lets focus on the P0157 code you got as the others were pending. I am reading your initial writing correct I assume, as you wrote occasionally you would get a B2S2 code. That sounds like an intermittence fault coming on, but now the pending codes are starting to appear which again leads me to a circuit diagnosis first as throwing a cat here will be useless if the irish green mob hit a connector or a pinch wire or ground choke point. .

Here is a chart to diagnose that code and the 2198. Remember I said that lexus calls to check all other codes first prior to the P2A03? The P0174 is just a symptom related code relating to the 157 (b2s2) and 2198 (b2s1). Or possibly a vac related trouble, air induction related to that bank etc. But we do need to focus on that side.

So here are charts for both those codes. Again, neither of those codes call for a defective cat at this time. All pertain to either a circuit or defective sensor or as I wrote above, something else such as injector/s etc. I will try comparing wiring from both charts to see if there may be a common ground that may affect both sensors of this bank 2.

It may take me some time to post back as I do have a life outside work and this site. Such as making a chinese buffet for my GF and should get cracking in the kitchen. In the meantime, here are those charts in pdf. Maybe someone else can study them also and give valid thoughts there.

But I do still think this is a circuit issue. And god forbid, maybe a faulty PCM. But that is as I say often, the last thing to suspect. But it is on occasion what happens.

BTW, what's on the menu? Fried rice with scrambled eggs and green peas (home made), wonton soup (store bought), chow mien (home made), soy sauce and brown sugar with a hint of maple syrup, spare ribs (home made). I left dessert up to her. Just bought a new kinect game. UFC. Should be funny to see her trying to do a rear naked choke. I will probably choke on my beer.

Without further ado, here are those two PDF's.

Attachments

Last edited:

infj23

Hey Nickb2,
Thanks so much for the reply. Weather was nasty here--cold and wet--so I decided not to pretend to be a mechanic today. I'll get on it next time I get a chance and have decent weather.
Hope your dinner with the GF turned out well. I think she is lucky to have you!
David

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
She has been by my side for a few years now. We once stayed together under one roof/my roof. Things got bizarre.

But ever since she found the right her place. Equilibrium. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, chinese stuff ended up in the back of the freezer. I call out for dinner. some shitaourk stuff. It was good. But my GF was not impressed.

I know I said I wouldn't say anything stupid. So I will try to keep my ocd to a level. Not that I suffer from that. But, I must say, does anyone here date a greek woman?

Not easy women when they want to take control of your kitchen. I almost had to call rape while she was molesting my syte. The "food" goes way high up on totem pole before hanky panky. Some times I think to myself. Am I that lucky?

After a week apart from her, I still find her annoying. But that comforting annoying. Such as, did you bring you bank card? No. She well you need that (in a high pitched voice that reminds me of old Archie bunker tv show). I say I got bills in my pocket, what do I need my cash card for?

This is where I go ballistic. Can't you go out and drive the car for once? Like fill the damn thing off, or maybe once in a wet dream, it might be you dropping ME off at work. Did I buy you that rust free red echo? That thing will run on diesel if you want it to.

But she just want s it for a visual. Thing hasn't moved. Only time I moved it was when she said she needed winter tires. I asked why? Now?

She said in case I want to drive. I said ok. lets see how far this goes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I find 4 Swedish tires. This is a steal. I scoop them up for 10$ a tire. 12/32 new kind of used. Slick new out of van those measure 13, no more. But they work great for quebec.

But I am doing again what I do.

Set of tires, 40$. Then I go score the local guy down where they store the old hub caps. He says yeah, got a box right here. Free.

So I proceed to buy 4 toyota rims, install almost new tires I got for 40$.

Come to her house, take out a big ass jack cuz we had just had our first snow fall. She said what are you doing with that? I said what?

Are you not supposed to jack one wheel at a time? She said. I said, your father got through to you. But in this case, this 2 ton jack will lift one of this echo. It will balance.

She backed up. Still has not drove the damn thing. When I put the hupcaps on it. I ask her if she like the wheels. She said they look like plastic. Ever seen a guy do a face palm? This is what it looks like,

infj23

Great face palm! This has been the most entertaining thread!

So here is the latest: the CEL went out today. Dashboard is pretty once again. I don't know why, but the thing "fixed" itself. Happened to have my scan tool with me and the Bank 2 Number 2 O2 sensor is putting out good numbers. It used to be steady 0.00 but now fluctuating between 0 and .8ish.

This suggests to me that the O2 sensor and cat are good and that Nickb2's idea of a bad wire somewhere is the deal. When I have the energy and time, I'll go a-hunting.

Any common/particular places I should look first?

Thanks!
David

Finally able to get into the car some more and see what I could do with the schematics graciously provided by nickb2.
My multi-meter probes were not small enough to contact the leads in the ECM, so I could not check anything there. Those were tiny holes!
Both the ground wire sides of the O2 connector showed an ohm reading when taken to a vehicle ground. The other two wires showed open (no reading) when taken to ground.
I may try again some day, but ran out of time today.
Thanks!