Cavalier with reverse and 1st only

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:chevrolet
MODEL:cavaliers
YEAR:2001
MILES:286000
ENGINE:2.2
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... car has reverse and 1st with engine light and traction off light on. Wired fan into fuse and took for a test drive to see if it would work and not overheat. Then all sudden the other things happens. Any ideas! Did my tranny just go out?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you checked all the fuses? Has the temporary fan wiring been removed? Unless this was a huge coincidence, the trans is probably OK but power to some of its shift solenoids has been interrupted. Tell us more about why you were trying to force the cooling fan on.

Guy was looking buying the car. Fan wasnt working so tied a wire to hot wire of fan and hooked to battery. Fan came on, so we tied that wire in the Ac fuse so it would come on when started. 10 amp ac fuse blew. Tied in that spot and took off in car and would not shift out and lights where on.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Guy was looking buying the car. Fan wasnt working so tied a wire to hot wire of fan and hooked to battery. Fan came on, so we tied that wire in the Ac fuse so it would come on when started. 10 amp ac fuse blew. Tied in that spot and took off in car and would not shift out and lights where on.
Ohh, this is sounding nebulous.

think will stay out of this one whilst my GF read the owners manual of an other toyota echo.

billr

wrench
Staff member
So, is the question how to fix this beast, or whether to buy it? Are you now "in control" of its future, or just trying to advise how low the price should be discounted?

So, is the question how to fix this beast, or whether to buy it? Are you now "in control" of its future, or just trying to advise how low the price should be discounted?
How to fix. It’s my car that I was going to sell. The potential buyer left thing the transmission messed up.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, then remove any of that added wiring that is remaining and check all the fuses with an ohm meter. Let's start there, see if the trans can be revived. Note that there may be more than one fuse panel.

OK, then remove any of that added wiring that is remaining and check all the fuses with an ohm meter. Let's start there, see if the trans can be revived. Note that there may be more than one fuse panel.
Ok. But could something like that affect the tranny

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, most of the trans shifting is controlled by electric solenoid-valves. What you are describing sounds much like what happens when there is failure to control via those electric valves and the trans goes into a "limp home" mode where only R and one forward gear are provided by the manual valve in the trans. If that fan hot-wire episode blew one of the fuses in the trans circuit the trans won't shift properly. I would think you would be getting trouble-codes, though. Have you had it scanned for codes?

Yes, most of the trans shifting is controlled by electric solenoid-valves. What you are describing sounds much like what happens when there is failure to control via those electric valves and the trans goes into a "limp home" mode where only R and one forward gear are provided by the manual valve in the trans. If that fan hot-wire episode blew one of the fuses in the trans circuit the trans won't shift properly. I would think you would be getting trouble-codes, though. Have you had it scanned for codes?
Plan on scanning tomorrow

Youngest daughter going to college with only on street parking with salt trucks spraying salt on it her 98 ZX2 was a complete pile of rust, drove it to the wrecking yard and got 300 bucks for it. Gave her my 04 Cavalier, was like new yet with 100k miles on it, same history, rocker panels were gone, with spayed salt on it, but somehow she managed to sell it for 500 bucks with 160 k miles on it.

Was wondering what you expect to get our of your with 290K miles on it. Must be in a salt free area.