Make
Ford
Model
F250
Year
Miles
Engine
7.3L diesel Powerstroke
I am new here and unsure how this works, so I'll just tell you about my problem. I have the Ford PU mentioned and recently got it running. When I start it I have a check engine light. If I do nothing it will run for awhile and then just die. It will start back up immediately and I have done this several times. If I step on the foot feed when it starts to die it will stutter and then keep running. If I drive it with the check engine light on, the automatic transmission shifts incredible hard, I mean it really slams it. Then after it has run awhile, and tries to die a couple of times, the check engine light goes out, and it starts shifting like normal. Then I have no more problems until I shut it off again. If I do even for just a minute, the whole sequence repeats even if I have driven it 20 miles.
It has an OBD2 connector under the dash, but I have been unable to pull any codes with it. It also has an OBD1 connector on the firewall. Someone told me I had to have special software to pull the codes on this model year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sorry for late response. Can you tell me what you are using to pull codes? Does the scan tool light up when hooked up to the DLC connector under dash?

You can use a test light to check at least if there is ground and B+. Pin 16 is B+, 4 and 5 are grounds.

Screenshot (289).png

kev2

wrench
EEC IV OBD system i think let us know. no ALDL/DLC like nick added correct - this is a PIA to read codes compared to ODII
If a code was set before a problem self-corrected (such as a momentarily loose connector), the code will be erased if the problem does not reoccur within 80 warm-up cycles. Codes will be output and displayed as numbers on the hand-held scan tool, such as 23. If the codes are being read through the dashboard warning lamp, the codes will be displayed as groups of flashes separated by pauses. Code 23 would be shown as two flashes, a pause and three more flashes. A longer pause will occur between codes. If the codes are being read on an analog voltmeter, the needle sweeps indicate the code digits in the same manner as the lamp flashes.
In all cases, the codes 11 or 111 are used to indicate PASS during testing. Note that the PASS code may appear, followed by other stored codes. These are codes from the continuous memory and may indicate intermittent faults, even though the system does not presently contain the fault. The PASS designation only indicates the system passes all internal tests at the moment.

kev2

wrench
nick - how is the cannabis law working ? gives a new meaning to 'smoke break' :)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ha, young guys at work think that since it is now legal to smoke weed that it means you can toke in between two lube and tire jobs.

Yeah, whole new meaning to "smoke break". So now we are finding joint butts and toke cans in the toilets. Mind you, they were smoking on site before the new law, but now, they just brazenly smoke it in your face.

Since then, our mechanics (meaning me) dept is changing more and more cross thread wheel studs and even had to swap a motor cuz some lube guy was too stoned to remember that an oil filter needs to be at least hand tight. :eek: Not to mention the countless oil pans I have replaced since oct 17th since canada became the second country to legalized this herbal medicine.

Mind you, I do smoke weed, always have. I just choose not to smoke or drink on the job. My job is too complicated when I feel drugged up. Try to follow a trouble shoot on a hybrid when you just smoked some quebec gold. Client is paying 93$ an hour for a stoned guy who basically is just too stoned to even be at work. But it's legal now. This is a nightmare in it's own. Local pot shop can't keep up with demand. Good thing I have my local johnny boy. @ least, I am still not paying taxes on that shyte. But now my taxes are going for the local legal subsidies shops, who tax my ass at income time of the year, and I don't even smoke thier legal, watered down shyte, but they have nothing to sell cuz they botched the job on how to do a stock vs needs enquiry. Hows that for curbing the black market. Very good scheme.

Don't forget, the very same ppl that head this project are in charge of my whole damn country. Trump comes to mind. Maybe I should tweet him on how to make money.

:D

Last edited:
Sorry for late response. Can you tell me what you are using to pull codes? Does the scan tool light up when hooked up to the DLC connector under dash?

You can use a test light to check at least if there is ground and B+. Pin 16 is B+, 4 and 5 are grounds.

View attachment 10325
I do have B+ on pin 16. Just using a cheap OBD2 that uses buluetooth to talk to my tablet and using OBD Car Doctor software on tablet.

EEC IV OBD system i think let us know. no ALDL/DLC like nick added correct - this is a PIA to read codes compared to ODII
If a code was set before a problem self-corrected (such as a momentarily loose connector), the code will be erased if the problem does not reoccur within 80 warm-up cycles. Codes will be output and displayed as numbers on the hand-held scan tool, such as 23. If the codes are being read through the dashboard warning lamp, the codes will be displayed as groups of flashes separated by pauses. Code 23 would be shown as two flashes, a pause and three more flashes. A longer pause will occur between codes. If the codes are being read on an analog voltmeter, the needle sweeps indicate the code digits in the same manner as the lamp flashes.
In all cases, the codes 11 or 111 are used to indicate PASS during testing. Note that the PASS code may appear, followed by other stored codes. These are codes from the continuous memory and may indicate intermittent faults, even though the system does not presently contain the fault. The PASS designation only indicates the system passes all internal tests at the moment.
Sorry, I don't know what this means "
EEC IV OBD system i think let us know. no ALDL/DLC like nick added correct - this is a PIA to read codes compared to ODII" Anyway I want to say thanks guys I have been away for several days, and was pleased to see your responses.
I am still having trouble figuring out how to navigate site and reply etc.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You should have leds on the elm adapter you have for your phone, so first make sure your phone is pairing with the elm device once the power led on it is confirmed since you have B+ on #16.

grcauto

I do have B+ on pin 16. Just using a cheap OBD2 that uses buluetooth to talk to my tablet and using OBD Car Doctor software on tablet.
That is neither OBDI or OBDII it's an intermediary system that the manufacturers were allowed to build their systems and code them with various computer languages and not on a strict standard as they transitioned between OBDI and OBDII which was from 1994 to 1996. You'll likely not be able to communicate with this unless you buy the software.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Check out google, it is your friend. Many cloned things coming out of china that actually do what they say they do. But don't expect any longevity out i it.

Example, I just bought my old bosses autel 908p. It would scan that car in its sleep, but even with a creative scanner like that, everyone here is right in regards to 1995 being a very transitional year for those protocols to pass even congress.

Alot of this stuff the general public doesn"t even know, but there is massive legislation that passes through the interstate highway system that boggles the mind how it affects our everyday lives.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The scanner I own, needs a 930$ upgrade every year. But that is cuz I work on cars all day, every day.

Someone like you would greatly benefit from going to visit one of the older shops in the hood, and see if they don't have a old snap on brick, or a otc genysis lying around. Those were programmed for that, plus the tenner you put in the guys pocket will make hime laugh cuz it probably costs him more to bring it out of storage and blow of the dust than the price of scanning your odd car.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just google eec iv obd2 software and adapter.

But regardless of what everyone is saying here, you can read through the obd2 dongle. It's just a question of protocol. Which one read which pin on the high and low signal of the pcm input and output. I just wanted to know if B+ was present in the actual dlc.

Obviously it is. So its ready to go.

But this OP probably needs more a beginner type thing than what I normally do. So best is to shop around and ask the local shops if they have a scanner capable of scanning this odd 95 ford, then, saying thx, on my way and posting back here what I probably think is a IDM module communication failure, and knowing the background from bosch in this also, wouldn't be surprised if the IDM just got corrupted, and a clean sweep may do the trick.