Check Engine Light

Thank you everyone for your replies. Looking at the connector there are wires to pins 2, 4, 5, 9, 12, and 16. However 2, 9, and12 appear to have a green plastic cover on the metal connectors? The device I am using is a VeePeak, and it pairs with my tablet but that is about all on this old F250. It will pair and read codes out of my 2000 Buick however. I live in a very small town, all the old timers are gone or retired. We do have a small Ford dealer here. I guess I will go see them and see what they would charge me to pull the codes. I talked to the fella that was the shop foreman until he retired 4 years ago. He said he didn't know if they would still be able to scan it or not, and said it sounded to him like a problem with the High Pressure Oil Pump or possibly one of the sensors involved in that. This poor old truck had not run for about a year and I don't know much about diesels. I replaced the starter, and the glow plug relay to get it running. I am seeing some oil accumulate in the valley between the heads toward the rear of the engine. it appears to be coming from the driverside valve cover gasket, but need to get some things out of the way so I can see better.
My daughter in law is from Winsor, came to Kansas for graduate school in biochem geology, met my son and they have been married for 5 years now. I told them if they move back to Canada they should find a place with a cabin for her father-in-law. I don't think either one of them really liked that. :) Anyway I am glad you guys legalized the smoke and it takes awhile to get it all worked out. KS is between Colorado which has it legalized and Missouri which approved it this year. Our sheriffs have been going crazy trying to catch folks bringing it into KS. I think we are stuck in the 1950's.
:)

billr

wrench
Staff member
OP, where are you located? Maybe there is a kind soul here who has such a scanner and lives close enough to you...

I'm about 40 miles west of Wichita KS. Oh, and I did go through and clean and tighten all the chassis and engine grounds before I replaced the starter, and have tried to check all of they other wiring and cables as well.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
There should also be a VIP data link connectors. It is located right next to the antilock "RABS" data connector. You could try pulling codes there for a flash sequence.

All this is a very long time ago, but with a analog meter, you could do that.