chirp/squeal

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by eddieguy, Jul 24, 2017.

1. eddieguy

eddieguy Sr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: plymouth
    MODEL: grand voyager
    YEAR: 2000
    MILES: 204,000
    ENGINE: 3.3
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....just want to make sure i have researched my troubleshooting info right on this: ive done the water trick in order to isolate this noise to determine if i have a bad serpentine belt or bad pulley alignment, pulley itself or tension is wrong. I spray water from a bottle on ribbed side of pulley or belt and my noise gos quiet, from what ive seen this would indicate most likely bad pulley alignment. If the tension is too tight or loose i read the noise should get louder. If i was to go by where the noise seems to come from it would be belt tensioner area but with belt removed i turned all pulleys by hand and they spun freely and i tried rockin them back and forth and felt no give. Does this sound like a pulley alignment issue? I could take a narrow straight edge object and try to lay against crankshaft pulley to a nearby pulley but there are pulleys that this dont look like that would work with. I might have got a very little noise from water pump pulley when i spun it little harder to spin from what ive seen on the net its pretty rare to be the belt itself to make the noise, can someone confirm if thats true even if its worn

2. KrazyK-nampa

KrazyK-nampa Full Member

Have you checked for coolant leaks? Coolant can cause a belt to squeal also and when adding water to it noise will go away until belt dries. You may be seeping coolant from puke hole of water pump. These vans also offer an aftermarket tensioner due to the pulley alignment being poor from factory

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Kit takes about 15mins to install for the very initiated. Which I am, I have literally installed hundreds upon hundreds. I can do it in my sleep so much this is a classic.

Tensioner nut is very accessible from underneath. 15mm wrench. The rest is easy.

5. KrazyK-nampa

KrazyK-nampa Full Member

Got to love factory afterthoughts. Lol