Chrysler 300M with P0455 Code Revisited

Hello Again,
I just wanted to update everyone on my problem with the 2001 Chrysler 300M. It is showing DTC P0455 Evaporative System Leak-Major.

Here is what I have done to date:
• Purchased a new gas cap and reset the DTC. A few days later it came back.
• Followed TSB 2500102A that Kev2 kindly provided. It tested okay, but since the valve was less than $10, I replaced it anyways. I reset the DTC and the light came back on a few days later.
• I purchased the Autotap with enhanced Chrysler parameters. Unfortunately, it is not a great help with the Emissions System.
• I traced all the vacuum lines, including the ones under the air box, by taking off the LF wheel and the fender well cover and removing the battery….I wanted to replace the battery anyways as it is six years old and hard to get at.

It seems like the only place left to check for leaks is the components /lines above the tank. I was hoping that the Autotap would help me diagnose some of the individual components such as the solenoid, vapor canister, etc. The only thing it really tells me is the “Evaporative System Monitoring Status”. Is it worthwhile to lower the tank? I have a lift, transmission jack, etc, and I don’t mind doing it. My only concern is that I hate to take it down and not find anything. Then I end up with the dilemma of throwing parts at it. Would you take it down, or bite the bullet and bring it to the dealer?

Also, would Alldata help in pinpointing the problem?

Thanks for your help! Once I see my way through this, I’ll send a donation to BAT.

Bruce

If you have the equipment and the time, I'll give you the same advice I got years ago...Don't try to fix it by thinking about it...take something apart.

If I remember correctly, you only have to lower the tank partially. Loosen the rear sway bar. Look for a cracked hose. They tend to crack at the ends, so reach up there and feel around, pull on the hoses and if one comes loose easily, it's cracked.

If you don't find a problem and you don't have a smoke machine, it may be time to take it to the dealer.

Good luck, wear safety glasses.

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
MoPars have a horrid tendency to crack hoses everywhere and anywhere the evap system is.

Alldata or go on a bidding service and get an OEM...not aftermarket...OEM book....you can get one for any LH body and the only difference is Section 23 "Body". LH bodies are all mechanically the same...Intrepid, 300M, Concorde. Yours will have a light blue cover. Make sure it is the Service Manual, not a supplement or diagnostic book. It will go for anywhere from 45-75 dollars and will be exceedingly worth your while. Exacting detail, nothing is overlooked. This will give you info and keep you out of dealer.

Cheef

Danica / Cheef,
Thanks for the info. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend after I recover from my Thanksgiving Feast! ;D
Take care and have a nice Thanksgiving....I'll keep everyone posted.
Bruce

I want to purchase an AllData subscription and help out BAT at the same time. Is it as simple as clicking on the AllData ad in the upper right corner of the forum? Sorry, but I'm not as computer literate as I should be....I'm an Engineer from the slide rule era.
Thanks,
Bruce

Ironhead,
Thanks...just ordered it. Looks like it has a lot of good information that can help me. I'll update everyone with what I find this weekend.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Bruce

Well, I worked on the 300M this weekend. I dropped the tank, and was relieved to find a short 2" piece of 1/4" hose that had split and broke off when I touched it. I was fortunate since it was Sunday, and it was about the only straight piece of hose around the tank. I replaced the vacuum line with some 1/4 " fuel line that I had.

Removing the tank wasn't very difficult with the lift and the transmission jack. The hardest part was removing the sway bar. One of the "captured" nuts that fastens it to the frame broke loose and took a lot of finagling (sp?) to remove it. I also noticed that one of the bolts fastening it to the frame was missing. It was a bolt that also secures the subframe. It looks like it was never put on at the factory! We've owned it since new, so I know nobody removed it. There were no marks indicating that it ever had a bolt at all.

I'm leaving for the week for business, so I'm hoping when I get back that my wife tells me that the CEL is still out. Then I'll check it with the AutoTap and bring it for inspection!

Thanks for all your help. The AllData subscription was especially helpful.

I'll let you know what happens next week.

Bruce

I just want to give everyone an update. Its been a week since I made the repair and reset the CEL with the AutoTap.

On Friday I checked the status with the AutoTap and it failed because the Catalyst Monitoring Status, Heated Catalyst Monitoring Status, and the Evaporative System Monitoring Status tests were incomplete.

I drove it for a few more days and tried it again today. All the tests came back as complete, but it still failed. What I can't understand is that there are no DTC's and no Pending Codes showing up. The CEL is still off.

Could it be that there needs to be more driving cycles completed? It has been extremely cold, and I think that tests won't be completed if the weather is extremely cold (it's been below freezing for the past few days.

Thanks,
Bruce

Ironhead,
The AutoTap will run the OBDII emissions test and let you know whether it "passed" or "failed". Originally I thought it failed because not all the tests were completed. Now that all the tests are completed and it still comes up as 'fail" is a bit disconcerting. I'll check it again in a few days.

Cheef,
I am encouraged because it has been nine days since I reset the DTC and the CEL has not come back on. Before I made the "gas tank" repair, it would come back on in 2-3 days. I sent a note this last night to AutoTap to ask why the time and mileage since resetting the DTC comes up blank. BTW, AutoTap has been really great at responding to any requests for assistance. They seem to be a top notch company!

I'll give an update once I recheck the vehicle with AutoTap tonight.

Thanks again to everyone!
Bruce

ironhead

I would have to believe that if all of the readiness monitors are set and it still shows fail, then one or more of the tests did not pass. Some tests take 2 or 3 failures to set a code and illuminate the light. I don`t know if the Auto Tap will show `Pending codes`or `1 trip failures`, but if it does, that will probably show you where your problem is.
Guy