Chrysler Concorde keeps dying but restarts with in minutes

I am completely frustrated.
1999 Chrysler Concorde LXi. 180,000 miles. 3. 2L V6
Bought the car used 3 yrs ago. About 2 yrs ago it died while I was driving. Waited a few minutes and it started right back up. Nothing again till about 6 months ago. It has gotten worse. Now it lunges, like it's shifting hard or surging. It dies at least once a week. Usually starts up with in a few minutes and then nothing for a few days. Last night it took 15 minutes to start again. There doesn't seem to be a common denominator here. It does it on all roads in all conditions without any warning.

Unrelated? We also have the code PO400 (EGR valve malfunction).

Any advice?

JimD10796

First off, i see no P0400 listed in Alldata for that vehicle. I'd scan it again and correct that fault first. However the problem you describe sounds alot like a fuel pump module malfunction, so i'd be checking fuel pressure. The fuel filter on that vehicle is part of the module and is non serviceable.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Clarify: When it won't re-start for several minutes (up to 15!), does it crank OK during that period, just won't fire?

cranks, but wont fire.

I may have the code written wrong, but the result is the EGR Valve malfunction.

Found in Trouble Codes>
Chrysler>
Generic 96-01>
P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Malfunction

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, buy a can of carb-cleaner and carry it with you. The next time it stops and won't restart, open up the air filter and spray a quick blast (1-2 seconds) of the carb-cleaner into the engine's intake. If it fires that way, even briefly, then it is likely a fuel problem. If it won't fire, then we need to look at ignition; pull off one of the spark-plug wires and lay it close to some metal ground on the engine while you crank, see what the spark looks like.

billr

wrench
Staff member
These days, many EGR valves are electric-driven, even with feed-back pots for position. Cleaning might help, but lots of other things to go wrong in there...