Make
Chrysler
Model
Town Countr
Year
Miles
Engine
V6
Engine noise can only be heard from inside car. Go around 5 mph and you faintly hear sound as if something rubbing or warped/ bent vibration sound. Do not hear when moving fast but sound is compounded when slowly applying brakes at slow speed. Don't hear when braking high speeds. Sound is there when coasting in neutral and applying brakes. No sound is made when braking in reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You start with engine noise and then discuss what sounds like brake noise. Have you tried going down a slight incline at 5 mph with engine off to see if it is engine noise or brake noise.

I have not tried downhill with engine off. I have gone downhill in nuetral frontwards and backwards. No sound going backwards but sound going forward. It doesn't seem like breaks unless something warped. I hear faint warped sound when coasting around 5 mph but when slowly apply breaks it is magnified. If going fast and slowly hit breaks you hear nothing.

Bruce

Staff member
Rob,
I agree with Jack... you may not have a noise from the engine, this sounds like the beginning of a failure of a wheel bearing/ hub assembly. Very common problem on this vehicle. All four wheels have a hub assembly. The hub assembly houses the wheel bearing. If you had a warped rotor, there would be a vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel or in the body (seat etc) when braking and this would be magnified at higher speeds. The trick now is to find out which hub is failing. With 188k on your vehicle this is right on track with this being the problem. The noise you are hearing, see if you can isolate it being in the front or rear of the vehicle. If it seems like it is the LF for example, then I would replace both front hub assemblies and this would be a good time to inspect the brakes and the half shafts/drive axles while it is apart.