Class 7 and 8 scan tools

mainly needing to know if anyone here has experiance with the scan tools below. a scan tool available for HD trucks at an affordable price is completly new to me. I deal with mostly Internationals on a daily basis but with different engines,
DT466E, Cummins N14,ISM and Cats at times. Just wondering how these would compare to say the ProLink scanner. I know the prolink has specific cartridges for say cummins and one for Cat the Bendix. Just wondering if any of these would be worth a darn.
I also see OTC has one, the genisis that does both car and heavy truck but what a price tag.

hxxp: cgi. ebay. com/ebaymotors/Heavy-Duty-Code-Reader-Kit-OTC-3418_W0QQitemZ360054231264QQihZ023QQcategoryZ43998QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

hxxp: cgi. ebay. com/ebaymotors/OTC-3417-Heavy-Duty-Truck-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-Kit_W0QQitemZ250312310686QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43989QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

If I was working in that field here what I would get, but the laptop would be swap to a panasonic toughbook, CF-28,CF-74, CF-72.
my 2 cent wrench

gpcorcor

Turbo Power!!!!
I agree with above. We run laptops with NexiQ magikey USB adapters. Software gets expensive. CAT is ~$1100 for CAT ET, Bendix (A-Com) is a free download from their website. KW ESA software is ~$1,000 - this software helps diagnose multiplex dash problems, a must have with dash/gauge issues.
Gene C.

Be careful of E-bay ads for Cat and Cummins software. Look like good deals. But you have to call the OEM to register the program. That is when it will cost you. And they will send you the disc anyways. I have stacks of Cummins and Cat programs. They send a new disc with updates a couple times a year. But the discs won't do anyone else any good.

I have used Nexiq in the past. Worked well. Very limited compared to OEM stuff though. But it has been several years, so maybe things have improved. I still use one of their USB cables. It will hook up when Internationals won't.

Many programs can be bought through OTC. ABS, Allison, International stuff and so on.

I agree with Wrench on the toughbook.

I came to the conclusion years ago. A guy NEEDS these tools to do this job. Buy the best and adjust the labor rates if needed. Mechanical trucks are getting few and far between. And the EPA will just keep making it more important to have the electronics and training.

I use prolink with usb adaptor and mpc catridges for detroit 1,11, 111 - DDDL for IV and V Laptop for ET and Insite and later detroits a lot more user freindly using oem but more exspensive

I use the MAC Mentor with HD truck software. While I do not do a massive lot of work on cats or cummins, so far it has done what I needed it to. I am sure there are better programs out there. Cost? With scan tool and hd software - about $4,000.

The gov is making all engine makers to go with OBD starting in 2010. They must use it on their most popular engines in 2010. And be on all engines by 2013. I do not know exactly what that will mean. But there is suppose to be a uniform protocal between all manufactors with this new OBD. It is intended for monitoring emission issues. But is suppose to make it easier for indy shops to have the tools needed to plug in and read these engines.

jigfeett

I think we need to be clear as to what you intend to do. What parts are you working with? Engine-transmission--cab ??
Thanks
Rob

jigfeett

If you get an OTC Genisys (mac mentor,is same thing) you will need heavy duty, $500 for starter set but you can get a new set with heavy duty for about $2000, but it will come with automotive applications you might not want.

PF-Diagnose is for all makes and models of heavy truck, the next version is suppoed to have OBD-II for everything cars and trucks. Works well and has some International diagnostic tests.

Edited to add link to scan program

NoDirtDon,
That is an interesting scan program. I had not seen that one before.
I'll have to do some checking into that one.

Thanks.

Tony said:
NoDirtDon,
That is an interesting scan program. I had not seen that one before.
I'll have to do some checking into that one.

Thanks.
Tony is working on a review. It is relatively new, only available for about a year now but a lot of people like it. The least costly by far, Under $300 gets you the full version and under $200 gets you the basic version, no licensing renewals, the key does not expire.

jigfeett

have to do it with oem , I've got otc genisys heavy duty but it does'nt compare to insite or CATet