clock springs

buddyguy

I know I have a post concerning the installation of my clock spring on my 2000 Plymouth grand voyager but I thought I would post here to get educated on how clock springs work. my horn is not working and my air bag light is on and I installed a new clock spring but it didn't remedy the problem. I installed it in the dark and noticed later that it said to have steering wheel back on before I turned the clock spring. I may not have done that. I noticed the two little springs on the clock spring and now I am wondering if I turned it without having the steering wheel back on first. what would be the result if I didn't have the steering wheel back on first? can I reinstall if I didn't have the steering wheel back on first?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Wait for somebody to post the procedure for replacing that, then open things up and look for obvious damage to it. If it looks OK, then try to re-install following the proper procedure. Do I need to say it? Don't work in the dark...

The clockspring has a ribbon inside that winds (tighter) and unwinds (looser) as you rotate the steering wheel. But if it is not properly installed it will wind so tight that it will prevent the steering wheel from turning "all the way". So you think "Hmm, I just put this steering wheel on here, and it seems to be jammed up if I try to turn the wheel"all the way". So you twist a little harder and it kinda pops, and then the wheel works better and will go "all the way". But the airbag light comes on because you just broke the ribbon when you forced the steering wheel past "the jam".