clutch issue?

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:ford
MODEL:ranger
YEAR:1997
MILES:302,000
ENGINE:2.3 5spd manual
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... went to town the other day truck was running and driving normal went to push in clutch coming to a stop sign and hard as a rock! got it off the side of road got under and the hydraulic line to the internal slave had come off got it home on chain and replaced the clip as old one was rusted and maybe weak it does have 302,000 on it but got it put back on tugged it seemed to be holding fine bled it out and went for a ride then coming off the highway headed home again clutch went stiff again so speed shifted to limp it home and sure enough line came off again! just got under it popped line back on reached in pressed clutch twice and hard line come off again so just to double check i put back on made sure it was in all the way ect second push of clutch off line came again.

could this be problem with slave cyl or possible the brass fitting on the end of the line that goes into slave cyl? i have a new slave cyl to put in and have ordered the complete line assembly that comes with resivour and master cyl but just wondering what could be issue sorry to ramble

billr

wrench
Staff member
It sounds to me like it is a problem with the slave, not the line fittings. Or, there could be a problem with the throw-out fork/bearing or pressure-plate. Let's hope it is the slave that is bad...

It sounds to me like it is a problem with the slave, not the line fittings. Or, there could be a problem with the throw-out fork/bearing or pressure-plate. Let's hope it is the slave that is bad...
But would that cause the line to pop off the slave? It's an internal slave so no fork throwout bearing part of slave

billr

wrench
Staff member
You say the pedal get "rock hard". I'm thinking either your or the pressure-plate is pushing hard enough on the slave that hydraulic pressure is going higher than the fitting can take. I know, you don't think you are pushing "that hard", and if the pressure-plate was pushing back, the fluid pressure should just relieve back through the M/C when the pedal is all the way up. However, I can think of no way a "weak" fitting could cause a hard pedal. I guess you will have to go into the flywheel housing to get to the slave, correct? I would take the pressure-plate and disk out for thorough inspection, even if you don't replace them.

What I mean by rock hard is that when line comes unhooked you can not push pedal at all it seems to have check valve in line but pedal was normal till line came off

Bill, that fluid line coupling is kind of like the device that connects an air hose to an air tool. Flow is blocked if a tool is not inserted.
Oddone, if your fitting won't stay connected, you may need to study how it locks together, and try to create something to restore lock function. Some combination of small hose clamps and wire might do it. Mcgyver would not remove the transmission.

Bill, that fluid line coupling is kind of like the device that connects an air hose to an air tool. Flow is blocked if a tool is not inserted.
Oddone, if your fitting won't stay connected, you may need to study how it locks together, and try to create something to restore lock function. Some combination of small hose clamps and wire might do it. Mcgyver would not remove the transmission.
as in the pics there is a groove for a clip as i was hoping that was the problem i borrowed the one off the new slave i bought it just seems to go together too easy if that makes any sense lol everyone i have talked to that has dealt with these say they normally do not come apart very easily nor go together any easier i gotta get it up on the lift ( my friend has one at his house) and try to cram my fat head up in there to see if i can see anything worn out or what i have never dealt with anything like this before

granted the truck has just over 300,000 miles on it but its in great shape over all for being in new england all its life that i know of and has been one of the best vehicles i have had so i am trying to keep her going and see how many miles i can get out of it only major thing that i have done to it in 4 yrs i have had it is all the spring hangers for rear leaf spring and minor front end stuff that i really don't count as i consider ball joints and such more of a maintenance thing that gotta be done every so often with the way some roads are here

Just wish I understood this hydraulic clutch system never had this happen before and I never had any indication that it was going to do this

update: got it all apart today then get inspecting everything to find my clutch is about smoked anyway so now i gotta wait to be able to get parts figure its all apart might as well do it now vs having to tear it apart again on a side note it needed up being a good thing the line kept coming off turns out the throwout bearing was on its last legs too

Last edited:

jd

Please get a NEW Clutch Disc.

You can't see it, but a Disc has to have a little "warp" to it. I'm old enough to think of a warped vinyl phonograph record. For you younger types, think of a Potato Chip. That's so it grabs progressively as the pressure plate clamps it to the flywheel.

Problem is, if a rebuilt clutch disc "core" was improperly harvested, it can have more "warp" than it's supposed to. Happens if the transmission hangs from the clutch by the input shaft when coming apart or going back together. This has the effect of making the clutch disc "thicker" than it's meant to be. Then, you can't fully release it.

Happened to me with a little Mitsubishi pickup. Neighbor worked for an auto supply and made up a "kit" with rebuilt Disc/Pressure Plate and a new Throwout Bearing. We ended up having to pull the transmission again to install a kit of new parts that all came in one box and was only about $100. Looking at RockAuto.com, seems you can still get a clutch kit and throwout around that price.

Can't forget this 'cause it happened to me, and your Ranger gave me an extra memory jolt. That disc, cataloged for Mitsubishi, had a Ford logo stamped into it!

Rangers don't let people down. Rated for years as Ford's most dependable vehicle. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of one either!

Ok got the new clutch,pressure plate today lucky it came with new pilot bearing as the one in the motor had no bearings in it question is could that be part of what caused hydraulic line to come off?