Make
jeep
Model
cherokee
Year
Miles
Engine
2.4 liter
2015 Cherokee 2.4 about 39,000 miles just developed code p050d , Daughter just bought this last thursday , what is the fix for this ? I've been seeing something about re flashing the pcm ?

If purchased from a dealer, and only one week old, I would ask them for a free repair.

rjh1

I'm making that phone call tomorrow , but in the mean time .. will there be drive ability issues ?

P050D – Cold Start Rough Idle

I have not researched his, but I doubt there would be any serious dive ability issues, othe than possibly rough idle.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If your daughter just bought it, it would depend on if she got if from the used lot of a Jeep certified dealer, or the used lot of "Joe blows car lot". As one will have reflash capability, the other mostly not. Several things could cause this code. Like speed variations of engine.

• Worn serpentine belt
  • Misalignment or binding water pump, P/S pump or A/C Compressor pulleys
  • Improper CKP, CMP, or MAP mounting
  • Poor connector/terminal to component connection for CKP Sensor, CMP Sensor, MAP Sensor, Fuel Injector, Ignition Coil, etc.
  • Vacuum leaks
  • Restriction in the air induction or exhaust system
  • Internal engine component malfunction

Or some of the following pid data may help also. Try comparing the AAT sensor, ECT sensor to the IAC sensor. Do they mimick each other.

Other causes,

• Moisture on ignition system components
  • Insufficient fuel
  • Low quality fuel
  • Manual transmission bog
  • Towing overload
Ignition issues often cause this. Remove plugs, inspect for-
  • Cracks
  • Carbon Tracking
  • Foreign Material
  • Spark Plug gap size out of specifications
  • Loose or broken electrode
  • Fouling

You may get a reflash for free and still get no joy. This is a TSB, not a recall. If you have to pay, You could be paying for a reflash for nothing.

Anyway, here is that TSB in PDF format so you can print it out.

Hope any of this helps. I am assuming that if you got this code, you have live data possibly available. If not, get a live data code reader in the least, will be helpful.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
39000miles is not premature for ignition issues, and mostly accompanied with misfire codes, they are the easiest to check out on a 2,4l.

The interval on a 2.4l patriot engine is 32000miles. I am pretty sure it is the same for a cherokee with same engine. Was that done? Like I said, easy to check yourself. Most guy's I know can change a spark plug.

Here is a really good hint I am going to give you. Sometimes, used car lots power wash an engine to make them look good for resale, but wreak havoc on engine controls as water intrudes, get everywhere. I see this day in and day out with problems such as this.

Example, in the past two weeks, we have a new client at the shop. A used car lot. We have started to do thier "warranty" work as they were not satisfied with the other shop doing their after sale work. I have never changed so many ignition coils in such a short period of time. I highly recommended to the car lot owner that he advise his detail crew to stop soaking the engines to make them look new and just use more elbow grease to make the engines shine. In the long run he will save money, his clients will not be pissed off having to bring in the car so shortly after buying the damned thing even if the engine looks brand new.

When I say alot, I mean alot. Just yesterday, two cars from same lot. One BMW, one honda fit. Three ignition coils went south due to shorted coil packs. That not mentioning the other cars over the last weeks with same issues.

Like I said, try new plugs if you suspect they are over 32000miles.

I just checked for the 2015 cherokee 2.4l, the interval is for normal service, not severe. They say to swap plugs at 100000miles. My data did not give for severe usage. Here in northern canada, we always use the severe schedules. Anybody I know who does 39k miles/62000km's in only 2 1/2years is using that engine alot. I call that sever usage and would not go 100000miles on any car with OEM plugs. ;)

Last edited:

rjh1

sorry forgot to reply with the fix ---- it was the thermostat --- left me puzzled but ? ? it's working fine .. Thanks !

grcauto

sorry forgot to reply with the fix ---- it was the thermostat --- left me puzzled but ? ? it's working fine .. Thanks !
Never seen a cold idle rough issue fixed by replacing the thermostat. Very odd. Is there a ground wire or other wiring you had to mess with to replace the thermostat?

rjh1

Nope the Dealer fixed it .... that's what the warranty is all about :p it's their job to make it right !

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, us guy's in this trade are in for some surprises as time goes on, and we will be seeing alot of thermostat issues. But as both of you said, surprising for this type of engine, but I see the logic behind it.

I just went through a refresher course on engine cooling as with the new systems coming into our bays, these will be alot more important than as in the past. Especially interesting was the portion on hybrids and full electric battery cooling.

Some engines/vehicles now have three or four thermostats on board, including ICE atkinson cycle systems using a vacumm flask coolant storage system that keep the coolant warm up to 24hrs (prius comes to mind), so the cold start rough idle codes may be more frequent as time goes on due to thermostat failure or the thermal valves as the coolant will be warm/hot already at cold start up and the thermostat rationality codes will become more frequent.

Misfire codes along with catalytic codes may also become thermostat issues along with CAC (charge air coolers) and such, however, some techs who do not keep abreast of new technologies will still be replacing cats when in fact the problems lies elsewhere due to advancing algorithms for small liter high output low emission engines which are now in our bays as they are now coming out of warranty.

I know this may sound like I am tooting my own horn, but my boss is investing heavily in me to get that info to me. I seem to be one of a few who actually wants to learn this stuff. I love it, and it makes my job much less mundane since I get all the diagnostic portion of what comes into our shop. One of the young apprentices at the shop, 20yrs or so old, also is showing great promise, he is right along side me at those courses, getting paid for it and will be a great tech and have a good paying career in the future as he is willing to learn all this. He won't be bashing his knuckles for the next 40 yrs on suspension and brake jobs like I did in the first 10 or so yrs of my career. I am now 43, started when I was 16. So that is 27yr in the trade already. Wow time flies.

I love mentoring this kid, he has a great attitude. When I was this kids age, I was still working on duty solenoid feed back carburetors. Boy oh boy did the old guy's back then love those new systems. Most of those guy's I knew back then are way into retirement or dead by now, and if they had to go back into the trade now, in 2018 would throw up their hands in confusion and frustration. This apprentice will go far. As said previously, I love helping him out. Can some of you believe that he actually calls me an old fart. Damn, I am only 43. :eek:o_O:giveup:;)

Anyway, nuff said, thx for the fixed post, even if a bit late, it helps others who may come upon this thread.

Last edited:

grcauto

Well, us guy's in this trade are in for some surprises as time goes on, and we will be seeing alot of thermostat issues. But as both of you said, surprising for this type of engine, but I see the logic behind it.

I just went through a refresher course on engine cooling as with the new systems coming into our bays, these will be alot more important than as in the past. Especially interesting was the portion on hybrids and full electric battery cooling.

Some engines/vehicles now have three or four thermostats on board, including ICE atkinson cycle systems using a vacumm flask coolant storage system that keep the coolant warm up to 24hrs (prius comes to mind), so the cold start rough idle codes may be more frequent as time goes on due to thermostat failure or the thermal valves as the coolant will be warm/hot already at cold start up and the thermostat rationality codes will become more frequent.

Misfire codes along with catalytic codes may also become thermostat issues along with CAC (charge air coolers) and such, however, some techs who do not keep abreast of new technologies will still be replacing cats when in fact the problems lies elsewhere due to advancing algorithms for small liter high output low emission engines which are now in our bays as they are now coming out of warranty.

I know this may sound like I am tooting my own horn, but my boss is investing heavily in me to get that info to me. I seem to be one of a few who actually wants to learn this stuff. I love it, and it makes my job much less mundane since I get all the diagnostic portion of what comes into our shop. One of the young apprentices at the shop, 20yrs or so old, also is showing great promise, he is right along side me at those courses, getting paid for it and will be a great tech and have a good paying career in the future as he is willing to learn all this. He won't be bashing his knuckles for the next 40 yrs on suspension and brake jobs like I did in the first 10 or so yrs of my career. I am now 43, started when I was 16. So that is 27yr in the trade already. Wow time flies.

I love mentoring this kid, he has a great attitude. When I was this kids age, I was still working on duty solenoid feed back carburetors. Boy oh boy did the old guy's back then love those new systems. Most of those guy's I knew back then are way into retirement or dead by now, and if they had to go back into the trade now, in 2018 would throw up their hands in confusion and frustration. This apprentice will go far. As said previously, I love helping him out. Can some of you believe that he actually calls me an old fart. Damn, I am only 43. :eek:o_O:giveup:;)

Anyway, nuff said, thx for the fixed post, even if a bit late, it helps others who may come upon this thread.
There are some new systems that do not use a thermostat at all. I've got 22 years on you and I was one of those techs working on feedback carburetors and watched as many of the "old timers" threw in the towel rather than learn the new computer controlled systems and distributors with hall effect sensors and no points or weights for centrifugal timing.
What company does your boss use for keeping up on new technology?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
He uses Napa autotech and a quebec company called "Formation Xtreme" The refresher course was given by this guy who loves racing on the quater mile in his old grand national that is quite beefed up from the stock version, but actually knows his stuff with the new systems also.

Here is a video of the guy in question, obviously not many views since it is quebec and most of north america doesn't really care what we do since most if it is in french.

I like the autotech classes, and napa doesn't push their parts. But my shop does buy over 400grand a year from them, so I bet my boss gets a good discount. ;)

Last edited:

grcauto

I've heard good and bad about NAPA training....I think it has to do with who's teaching the classes. All the larger providers have good and not so good trainers. The material is there and may require more homework when the teaching is lacking a bit. We had a local group in PA that did real good work. They were not cheap but you got your moneys worth I used them for 11 years to train my techs. I should have kept up with it better myself but I allowed my skills to deteriorate from running the shop and not working in the shop.
My stepbrother has a Grand National he runs. It's blown and has the tuner chip you can adjust and a few other tweeks. He runs in mid 11's with it.
Sold my shop to my two top techs in March of this year and moved back to Michigan.
Hope to fill some of the void by helping others where I can.
I do remember these P050D codes being set when the PCM sees to much difference between the ATS and the CTS. I do believe we did one but there was no idle problem. Thermostat fixed that one. That's if this old brain is remembering correctly. That's a BIG if....LOL