Comment on P0708 – Transmission range (TR) sensor/switch -high input by s peters

S

s peters

Make: Hyandai
Model: sonata
Year: 2006
Miles: 250,000
Engine: 4.3L 6cyl

Hello,
Just threw the P0708 code for a short circuit.
Been a good vehicle for the wife.
Is it time to start shopping for another, or will it be worth the cost to repair?
Thanks

Continue reading...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Can you do the trouble-shooting yourself, do you have an electrical multimeter?

grcauto

Is the vehicle in limp mode?
The range sensor is on the top of the transmission. The shift lever goes through it.. You may get lucky and find one at the junk yard and just replace it but you probably need to adjust it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
We need a schematic and trouble-shooting procedure for the OP to follow. Is this switch a bear to get to, to even do some testing?

OP: Yes, if you can do some of this work yourself it will most probably be worthwhile to repair.

Yes, 3.3, my mistake. And thanks for the URL...I will go there, thanks.
Possibly a bad wire in the harness, and/or mucked up connectors{thinking spilled coffee/sodas whatnot}.
I think if I can yank out the console cover, which is the first step anyhow, maybe I`ll find something obvious.
Been pricing parts and I really think I can keep it under a couple hundred.
There have not really been any major changes in the way it drives, except that she did have the transmission flushed @ about 200k, so there may be some nonimal slip. Engine light displayed, scan showed a fault, I go into repair mode.
I helped replace a shifter in a Rodeo once upon a time, so it`s not a complete mystery. Getting to the switch may just be the hard part, as you say. I will see what is at alldata, and hope for the best.
You have been a great help and I really appreciate it.