Cooper-Bessemer FWL -6 T engine

Discussion in 'Heavy Truck & Equipment Forum' started by crankshaft, Nov 23, 2008.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Newbie

Does anyone know where I can find technical information and parts for a Cooper - Bessemer FWL-6T engine ? I've searched on line and can't seem to find anything about the engine itself, other than it is used mainly in locomotives, like 1950's vintage. There are some railroad websites that come up, but none that address engines specifically. I know I'm really reaching, but you never know unless you ask.

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

3. celticcrusader

celticcrusader Sr. Member

this is probaly a roundabout way but try www.todengine.org they might be able to direct you where to go.

4. Wascator

Wascator Jr. Member

Cooper-Bessemer's OEM is now known as Cameron: still very much in business. I'll try to get a link and post later.

5. crankshaft

crankshaft Newbie

We did submit an estimate of repairs, with the understanding that some parts and machine work cost cannot be very accurately estimated. It has yet to be approved, but we are still looking for any information we can get (parts and tech) thanks, Bill

6. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

See this link to Cooper-Bessemer. This engine was typically used in locomotives in the late 1940s or thereabouts.
    They will at least be able to answer your technical questions. hxxp: www. c-a-m. com/content/products/product_detail. cfm?pid=51347
    We work with gas compressors, there is some aftermarket support out there but it is a boutique industry, in a grimy sort of way of course.

7. Steve Heggem

Steve Heggem Guest

I realize that this topic is several years old, however, taking into consideration the rarity of this engine, I am replying now. Our company deals in older American made diesel engines and we are very familiar with this engine and have a lot of technical info for same
    thanks,
    Steve

8. Richard King

Richard King Guest

Mr. Heggem,

I am a volunteer at a museum in Northern NJ that has two GE 70-ton locomotives, powered by Cooper-Bessemer FWL-6T diesel engines. Unfortunately neither engine is operable, but we have the funding to restore one or both to operation. Would parts, or a whole new engine, be available?

Richie King